Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

I got some more pics together of the "scene of the crime" where I found my very first Franklin half on Monday.

First off, I must say I'm still reeling from the experience..it's only my second silver half ever - my first one was a 1942 Walker that I found in 1996.

The neighborhood where I live was built in the 50's..my house and the surrounding ones were completed in 1958-1959, which makes the area prime hunting ground for silver coins.

It was only this year I began getting permission to search private yards around here..it's neat because there's so many places to hunt and they're all close to home.

Anyway, after the find I began to visualize different scenarios pertaining to just who, when, and how the coin was lost. Does anyone else do this??? After thinking about "who" may have lost it , it's a pretty good bet the coin was lost by the first owners of this residence since the coin's date is 1953. As for the "when", I can tell the coin was in circulation for awhile, judging from blemishes and wear easily seen with a magnifyer. Silver halves of this type were probably not carried around as much by 1964 when Kennedy halves were introduced, so I can see it being lost somewhere between 1958 and 1964.

"How" the coin was lost is anyone's guess. I tend to think it may have been lost by an adult..50 cents back then was probably like losing a few bucks nowadays, so maybe it was accidentally dropped there. It was also the only coin of it's kind on the entire property.

Here is the yard I found my Franklin..it was next door to the yard where I found 24 wheat pennies a few days earlier..I can see that "who" as a kid back in the 60's playing or burying them (there was 15 wheats and about a half dozen 60's Lincoln Memorials buried in an area about a foot square).
FRANK7.jpg

Looking from the house, the place where my detector coil sits is the exact location of my find.
FRANK0.jpg

Here is the coin in the very hole of which it lay for 45 or so years.
FRANK4.jpg

Here's a shot of my son holding it.
FRANK1.jpg

And a very happy yours truly!
FRANK3.jpg

This post was designed to stir your imagination, inspire "newbies" and well-seasoned MDers alike, and share an experience with you that I will never forget..if you can EVER get permission to hunt yards such as this one, do so because there's always a chance to find something really great.

Nat

Upvote 0

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice post and great coin - thanks it definately inspires

vp

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello NatMan!
Good logic; great story!
Finding Old Ben will live with you forever. Too bad, the clads don't leave nothing but dirt in the old pocket! :)

GRB

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Great post, great pics, great find, Nat!!! ;)

I go through the same thought process as you whenever I found something old/valuable.
There's bound to be more good finds at those residences. More silver/wheats for sure.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool story and a great finds ! i see it put a big smile on your face to ;)

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
Yes indeed thats is an inspiring way to describe your finds,iam so glad that iam intrested in such a fullfiling hobby.

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin Nat! Congratulations!

As for the inspiration, Nana and I still look at each other and say "you goin' to the door to ask permission"...answer: "no, but I'll go with you". ;D

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great looking coin Natman. One that is still on my wish list.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DiggerBug said:
Beautiful coin Nat! Congratulations!

As for the inspiration, Nana and I still look at each other and say "you goin' to the door to ask permission"...answer: "no, but I'll go with you". ;D

LOL, I've been known to do the same thing. Glad I'm not alone.

Great story Nat. Thanks for sharing

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nat,
I'm thinking the "HOW" was possibly the Dad throwing the coin at the kid to get his attention in the back yard, OR
the milkman giving the coin to the kid as hush money? ;D
By the way, I see you are a fisherman too. The Cabella's hat gave it away. ;D
Great post,
MM

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone, your replies give the inspiration right back to me!

ModernMiner said:
I see you are a fisherman too. The Cabella's hat gave it away.

MM, I'm actually a "Cabela's Convert" (I was wearing a Bass Pro hat in my other avatar, I like going there too!) ;D

They just opened a new Cabela's about 5 minutes away from my house..I was in outdoor heaven when I visited there for the first time 2 weeks ago.

Nat

R

RUDY2003

Great post Nat! Yoiur story really does stir the imagination.
Great pics and good to see you.....

Keep safe and keep diggin'...

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
Good job Natman... Sure did enjoy this post as I also think of the story behind the lost coinage...

Many years ago, probably around 1987, a co-worker and myself received permission to check an old home next to where his sister lived... The older gentleman advised there was probably nothing worth finding, but said have at it... After splitting up the yard, this was a must as both of the detectors were the same, I commenced to finding a few wheaties and when rounding the house to the back yard, a sweet 1923 merc said hello... While digging up lots of wheaties under the close line, heard the distinct sound of interference... Sure enough, there was my detectors twin about 20 feet away... Asked my buddy if he was doing any good and received nah as his response... Turned off one of the twinkies, and assisted in unearthing many more wheaties to my buddies surprise... While he was enjoying these finds, I acquired 40 or so feet of distance and commenced to saying hello to a 1943 quarter and then a 1954 dime... Worked my way towards the front yard and seen a sweet 1918 merc at about 6"... Right in the middle of the left portion of the front yard, received a strong signal and popped out a 1940 Walker... Needles to say, my day was simply outstanding at this point in time... In rechecking the hole, the detector was still receiving a very strong signal... Sunk the digger a bit further and was greeted with another Walker dated 1942 quarter and a 1942 quarter...

Hopefully I didn't corrupt your post Nat, but I can just imagine these three coins wound up in the same hole as a result of some youngster, who was turning cart-wheels while waiting on the Ice Cream truck, being very sad when the coins were no longer in their pocket...

Attached are the coins and a cheesy drawing of the yard where they were found...

HH Robert

Attachments

• best yard ever.JPG
    best yard ever.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 350
  • best yard ever 002.jpg
    best yard ever 002.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 356
  • best yard ever 003.jpg
    best yard ever 003.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 344
  • best yard ever 004.jpg
    best yard ever 004.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 346
OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bertman said:
Hopefully I didn't corrupt your post Nat

Not at all Bertman! I enjoyed the story..that's a dream hunt!

Bertman said:
I can just imagine these three coins wound up in the same hole as a result of some youngster, who was turning cart-wheels while waiting on the Ice Cream truck, being very sad when the coins were no longer in their pocket

Could be..but back in those days, $1.25 could probably buy a dozen ice cream bars!

HH,
Nat

Eastexasoutdoors

May 8, 2007
Neches Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5 ID, Garretts Ace, Fisher Gold Bug
I always try to imagine where someone might be taking there keys out of there pockets. Wether it be at a house,
playground, Baseball field or any other place someone might put their hands in their pockets. These are usually my starting points.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread