Poor Boys Tumbler

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
I shall dub thee "The Penny-Pincher Clad Cleaner"....by Indy Redneck Industries. I wanted to see what I could come-up with that was laying-around.

Here's an empty container that once held Betty Crocker (cream cheese) cake icing. Sadly I had to empty it to use the container, but thankfully I had some graham crackers on hand ;) (we all have to make sacrifices). It is water-tight (I checked 1st). Drilled the center of the bottom, added washers on bth side, sealed with silicone, and a 1/4" X 2" carriage bolt. I double-nutted the bottom to be sure it wouldn't come loose.

smtmblr.jpg

I also made a slightly larger one, from a lemonade container, which has a screw-on lid. This one I'd used a larger flatwasher underneath (for added support), as the smaller one was thinner at the bottom & "drooped" slightly due to the weight of coins, water, and aquarium gravel.
lgrtmblr.jpg

Chucked it into a 1/4" variable-speed drill, added a velcro strap to the trigger (for "cruise control") and it's tumbling as I type.
tmbpts.jpg

Now, before anyone laughs at me ;D I wanted to see how "cheaply" I could come-up with something. If you had to buy this, I'd say you'd have $1 in it if you have a drill & suitable container.

I have taken "before" pics of pennies, and silver-clad (which I am tumbling seperately), and will post them as well as "after" pics once they're done . I have no idea how long it'll take, as this is my 1st time tumbling coins.

Stay-tuned.......

Smitty

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
Well, I was hoping to post some "after" pics. This will definately work, but I ran into a small problem.

The drill I used is a $10 cheapie, and at that low of an PRM it won't hold a constant speed (it speeds-up & slows down on it's own), so I got tired of "babysitting" it last night. I think I may try another method to control the speed, just to see if I can infact get it to clean a few batches of coins.

Smitty

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have a bench mounted grinder/polisher that should work.

daaaveman

Nov 13, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax - IT ROCKS!
I use an old ice-cream maker to tumble in. Slightly modified.... Works fine. It's noisy so I leave it out on the deck when it's going.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta say Smitty..that is a good idea. When my $5 kids rock tumbler dies, which it will...I will have to give that a try. Good job.

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
daaaveman said:
I use an old ice-cream maker to tumble in. Slightly modified.... Works fine. It's noisy so I leave it out on the deck when it's going.

It's funny you mentioned that. I had that thought, and wondered if anyone had tried using one.

SC- I haven't even fooled with it again. If you can find a way to control it at a constant speed, let me know. I took the motor out of an old microwave, that drives the "turntable", it seems to have lots of torque & low RPM, I just haven't gotten around to adapting it to turn a drum. FYI- I had a buddy that did appliance repair, he told me there's a "powertube" inside a microwave that can deliver a very nasty jolt. The motor I got was underneath the bottom.

lol, I have however started a slightly larger version. It's a 5 gal bucket, I'm currently looking for an old BBQ rotisserie motor to operate it. I have the drum mounted to rotate, just need to connect a drive to it.

Smitty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread