Porcelain Vase from Thrift

C

Cappy Z.

This large vase actually came with light fixtures attached. Someone drilled a hole in the bottom and made it into a lamp. I started cleaning it..and the paint started to come off...I think the lamp maker painted it...Under the paint is that old crackled white porcelain...

Any idea based on shape and size where I might look for a comparison?

Thanks.

btw I paid $5.00.

Attachments

• Antique PitcherQ.jpg
    Antique PitcherQ.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 406
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Very Good. Thank you. the one on Ebay is 8 1/2 inches high. This one is near 12 inches. But very very similar only minor differences. Heres a pic. I spent half an hour scrubbing with soap and water to get rid of the paint...I'm not done yet.

Thanks for the feedback.

Attachments

• Antique PitcherC.jpg
    Antique PitcherC.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 380

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well dont ya just wanna smack whomever drilled the hole in it..still pretty thou cappy any markings on the bottom?

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

I checked the entire case...no markings. I think the guy sanded the marking off the bottom when making his shop class lamp...But I think it is a really old water pitcher..It has that crackle glazing and is a much better quality and heavier than the shorter 8 inch vases.

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Re: Porcelain Vase from Thrift?Cleaned up.

I just finished bathing this beautiful old lady.... I think she is a beauty.

Attachments

• Antique PitcherNew.jpg
    Antique PitcherNew.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 348

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a classical style and shape that i've seen on pieces over 100 years old thats still being copied today. So who knows ? I searched high and low for an identical match but I couldn't find one. It's too bad the previous owner made a lamp out of it. Still a nice looking shabby chic piece, and as long as you like it that's all that matters. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

diggummup said:
It's a classical style and shape that i've seen on pieces over 100 years old thats still being copied today. So who knows ? I searched high and low for an identical match but I couldn't find one. It's too bad the previous owner made a lamp out of it. Still a nice looking shabby chic piece, and as long as you like it that's all that matters. :thumbsup:

Its part of my new Shabby Cappy collection.........lol!

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a very similar pitcher just last night on a 2007 repeat of a Salt Lake City filmed Antiques Roadshow. That one was Staffordshire and had the wash basin included. Tonight I will post the pic that I snapped off the telly, (at work now)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
looks like a classic ewer (large type water pitcher- often came with a bowl --to wash ones face in the am as one awoke/shaved ) say 1850 to 1890 --british made most likely (shaffordshire , england was a major export center for all types of "british made" crockery )--got a "makers" name stamp on its bottom?

pity its been holed.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Staffordshire set on A.R. was valued at $200.00 for both pieces. Unfortunately supply is still greater than demand on these wash sets.

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

GopherDaGold said:
The Staffordshire set on A.R. was valued at $200.00 for both pieces. Unfortunately supply is still greater than demand on these wash sets.

Thanks for the feedback. It is my understanding that those with holes on the bottom are much rarer..we're talking $2000. just for the pitcher. :wink:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely!! BTW, Cappy when you said you cleaned it, did you remove the original blue paint? Your first pic shows blue highlights all around the piece which are absent in the cleaned pic.

Oh wait... never mind. I looked again.

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

..just got an email from a Tner ...offered $50. for the vase....Do I hear $60.? :laughing7:

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

savant365 said:
What, a 1000% profit isn't enough for you? Greedy, greedy, greedy... :tongue3:

I loved the Movie....with Michael Douglas..."Greed"....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread