1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
2 eggs, beaten
1 1-/2 envelope dry onion soup mix
1/4 cup finely chopped green or jalapeno pepper
1 14-1/2 ounce can stewed tomatoes
1 12 ounce can beer
2 tsp. chili powder
3 Tbsp. flour

Mix together the ground beef, rice, eggs, dry soup mix and chopped pepper. Shape into 6 large balls.

Combine tomatoes, beer and chili powder in a large skillet. Heat to boiling over medium heat.

Carefully drop meatballs into hot tomato mixture; cover and simmer for 45 to 55 minutes. Lift out meatballs and thicken sauce with 3Tbs. flour mixed with cold water, if desired. Serve in deep bowls with cornbread or crusty bread.

Thanks, Mini!! I've not had "Porcupines" since basic training days. I think it was a different recipe they used in the chow hall. But, everyone in basic training had to pull at least one chow hall duty...the day I had it, we were making porcupines. Lordi, it was blowing my mind cause the TI told me we're having Porcupine and my duty was to help prepare it. :o

Well, if you ever seen giant mixers...I mean giant, you fall in you could not get out by yourself. I shaped thousands of balls...in other words enough to feed the entire crew in basic training to not want to see another for a very long time.

;) RR

We tried this recipe, and it was pretty good. I would give it a comfort food classification. Not particularly spicey, just good flavor. I suppose you could tamper with the recipe alittle bit. I'll bet adding some spinach to the meatballs would taste great.
Keep em coming Mini.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back