austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you want to find? Might be something washed up on the beach, might still be coins in the second line of dunes. South of Port A(down the beach) was a military target range around WWII. Have found stuff about 5 miles down the beach. Don't know if they were live or not. Marked them and called the police. When I was a kid in the 50's we(cousin and friends) found Spanish coins, but found more on Padre and at the cut. That is now the National Seashore. Have found coins, jewelry and some other stuff down from Port A, back in the dunes. But I have no idea what is left. Lots of MDers over the years. Too much building, too many condos. Wild and beautiful then. Good luck...

OP
OP
H

Hothgar

Aug 1, 2005
I have three young kids in tow so I figure dunes won't work. People just climb up there and hunt? I was just trying low tide while the kids splash around

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was there a few years back just after the new ranger station opened. Ranger told me that they had just taken down some public showers so I was there early the next morning with a shovel and my MD. A couple of locals also showed up. Between the 3 of us we pulled over $70.00 in quarters in 3 days. If any more showers or picnic areas try there also

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Not climb the dunes. Search along the bottoms between first dunes and second ones. In fact, search the flats between the gulf and the intercoastal canal. But watch for nails and traffic on the beach and rattlesnakes and coyotes back in the island's interior. Worse down on Padre, but still exists on Port A. ALSO, some really big bull sharks in the surf. Go stand on a dune, look seaward and notice the color change of the water. Two sand bars out there. Sort of deep, shallow, sort of deep, shallow, then very deep.Spring is when mommy sharks give birth and fisherman catch piles of 1-2 foot babies and pile them in great heaps on the beach. Sometimes an undertow down from the big pier(Caldwell), most times not. Winter is calmer, easier to drive on the beach. Don't mean to scare you, just be aware. And yes, there is still treasure there...

OP
OP
H

Hothgar

Aug 1, 2005
Thanks for all the advice. Found a silver earring today and lots of clad and sinkers the last two days. In surf at low tide, just finding tabs and light junk. Finding the best place to hunt is kind of right around the mid point between low and high tide for now. Plenty of targets to keep you busy. Few junk earrings and junk rings too.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hothgar, if you see a guy swinging a Minelab ExcaliburII in the surf, he's a buddy of mine. He's from MN and his name is Jim. Just don't call him a "snowbird" ;-)

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread