Port Canaveral TALL SHIP EVENT

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
El Galeón Andalucía
tallshipevent.com

Docked at Fish Lips through November 30.

I just drove over there to see her lit up:
IMG_1253.JPG

They call it a 16th-c. "replica" but not of any specific ship, & of course it's made to be "touristy" - there's a wheel at the helm (wheels weren't introduced until late 17th century) & a balcony around the stern (doesn't strike me as authentic to the time). But it's very cool. At 175 feet, it's longer than any of the 1715 ships, & to me it feels "small" - can't imagine 300 crew + 200 pax on a ship of that size! Entire crew is from Spain.

Worth a drive to Port Canaveral or Ft. Lauderdale (December).

I've bought a ticket to the November 21 VIP Reception. Anyone planning to come to that? Limited to 100 tickets, so act fast:
tallshipevent.com
(Click on the lower right-hand green button - the other one goes to an old link)

There's a Pirate Fest through this weekend right next to the ship, so this would be a good weekend to see it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
grossmusic

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well, maybe no one's interested in what a galleon looks like above the water line, but I find it really great!

It's easy to impress a landlubber...
TOWER VIEW.JPG CLIMBER.JPG tkgPOINTING.JPG

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
however, I would be careful advertising anything for sale

OP
OP
grossmusic

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
however, I would be careful advertising anything for sale

? This isn't an advertisement. I just think it's cool that there's a galleon in our back yard.

I found out it'll be up at St. Augustine for most of 2015.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
? This isn't an advertisement. I just think it's cool that there's a galleon in our back yard.

I found out it'll be up at St. Augustine for most of 2015.

Yes, the winter port is St. Augustine. It will be for the next couple of years. I mentioned it to the group last year with little response. She'll be docked at the base of the Bridge of Lions at the City Marina for the winter through the spring.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it is something awesome to see.

It might have been diver down's post a couple of years ago that lead me to it.

I probably lingered about longer than most. I took my time looking at all the small stuff and construction and would picture this massive vessel tumbling and breaking apart in a hurricane such as the 1715 fleet vessels.

I had a few conversations about my cob coin necklace with some crew, a couple in broken English and broken Spanish but through pointing at some of the display placards and things on the ship we could relate to each other.

A couple of them expressed a high interest in the history of the 1715 fleet especially when they found out it was "just down the road".

I wonder if they ever made it to the Mel Fisher museum?

Well worth the trip and when I was there they had a historical map display in the restaurant annex next door.

OP
OP
grossmusic

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, the winter port is St. Augustine. It will be for the next couple of years. I mentioned it to the group last year with little response. She'll be docked at the base of the Bridge of Lions at the City Marina for the winter through the spring.

Dang - I totally missed your post last year. I just happened to see a 5-second blurb on Channel 13.

Kind of cool how the 300-year anniversary of the 1715 fleet coincides with the 450-year anniversary of St. Augustine. Neither are necessarily "happy" events, yet very important to commemorate.

OP
OP
grossmusic

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks for the link. I can't imagine how I missed it last year. Arrrrgh!

But I'm glad she's back, & here to stay for awhile.

She took a beating in Monday's storm, but was still afloat when I went by on Tuesday!

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It was definitely a cool experience roaming around on the decks. I thought they did a great job with the superstructure and gun deck, it at least gave you a feel for what the areas were like. I know they had to follow modern regulations below the water line, but I sure wish they had made some sort of authentic-ish cargo hold area too. Most of the room that could have been used for that was taken up by modernized crew quarters, which I can also understand. I'd pay a good chunk of money if they would take you out sailing on her...I have yet to see her with her sails up and full of wind but I sure want to. Maybe we will shadow her in the mag boat when they move her to St. Augustine. :-)

OP
OP
grossmusic

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I mentioned to Ulysses (the guy in charge of all the boat's scheduling) that it would be great to go out on the water with her. He said the only way to do that is to apprentice on the crew. Sounds like a great idea to me! Wish I could keep up with the physical demands, because I'd do that in a heartbeat, but I'd be more in the way than helpful I think.

They're going down to Ft. Lauderdale before they go up to St. Augustine.

A galleon going up & down Florida's east coast 300 years after 1715. Amazing. I'm going to try to get pics of her in full sail from the beach as she heads south December 1.

The only thing that bothers me about its modernization is the wheel. I so wish I could see an operational pilot room from the era.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man that's spine tingling!!!

Poor memory sucks....

I can't even remember what the event was but when I was in Delaware between the mid 80's to the mid 90's there was some major Tall Ship event (probably in Philly) and we went out to watch them sail up the Delaware river. Man what a sight seeing multiple tall ships sailing the waterways!!

You didn't have to be a history buff, treasure dreamer or boat lover to appreciate that kind of beauty and "once in a lifetime" moment for modern folk.

If I remember correctly one of the ships had a bit of a problem with a shoal which for me made the whole ordeal "realistic"!

Good thinking Jason! They'd probably think it a bad omen if I chased after them with the blower boat, especially if I ran circles around them trying to get pictures from different angles!! :laughing9:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest: