Port Orford Meteorite

D

don Lupe

Hi; don Lupe here in Douglas AZ . Waiting on weather to finish up search of Skeleton Canyon. Plan to drive in camper up to Port Orford OR for the summer and search for the Orford Meteorite..It's popular subject. Like to find a place to camp or cabin/house to rent in area?

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
How is that Skeleton Canyon area as far as illegal migrants and drug runners now?
I was just talking to an elderly lady in Willcox who claimed to know some pretty interesting things about some of the gold buried out that way. Last time I was there, a couple months ago, my campsite got frequent visitors and I have been reluctant to take the family with since.

OP
OP
D

don Lupe

The "reply" on this site is too difficult.. Sugest rebuild. Now I lost the name to whom I'm replying. Yes Tucson..The Peloncillos especially up though Miller Canyon-Hog Canyon/Starvation and Snures Place/Paramore Crater up to Poetal is extreme danger..I ran into 35-100 military dressed Guatemalans led by a commander speaking Chechuan-not espanol.. Scared me and I ran ! Lost a lot of my equipment..That was day time.. Emigra tells me the bad drug stuff comes through at night..Don't risk it.. As to stories about Skeleton canyon.. The gates are locked. fire season is coming.. however everyone has an idea about treasure, thousands have 'Looked" The anglo bush-wackers in this case ambushed priests excaping the war heading for safety in Tucson..They lost their lives by snippers , rowdy drifter gang bangers..This tale is not to be glorified by anyone. A big treasure. I doubt it.. I'm after a good sized Meteorite I witnessed crashing in the area..But I have years of mountain experience..Ive seen 'dudes' stumbling around looking for treasure,. I'm not impressed.

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
'I'm after a good sized Meteorite I witnessed crashing in the area'

How funny. It's been a few years but I did see one head into the 'area' one evening while I out on La Playa. Folks had seen it as far as Tucson , but what the papers reported as far as area did not match up with my own witness. I drove out where I thought it was and walked ridges looking for a crater. Sure would be nioce to have an ultalight for that kind of thing! Needless to say, I didnt find it.

OP
OP
D

don Lupe

Jonster; Been to Animas valley but never to the playas..Also playas have their own problems like quicksand traps. Cuidado! entonces, meteorites land all differently..the coffee/antique store in Willcox, across from train station/city hall, owner has a beauty, Ataxite-mostly Nickel,low iron content, came in without a scratch.. many get traped in gravity field and whip around the earth a few times and land soft leaving no impact deprecion. Some bonk off trees and are found flat out on the ground, if they come in straight, and are big, from -0 tempeture there's a problem and they explode! however!! they create a strewn field,,lighter fragments behind bigger pieces. Saves cuting them up..Tomarrow, tuesday will be clawing my way up Hog Canyon off Cottenwood creek. will parkmy toyota Chinook mini camper just west edge of Forest boundry, left side of road from Douglas...You're welcome to join me, alone would be better just the two of us, until another buddy-photographer from Bisbee might come.. 3+2 honks of the horn should do it.. I'll be camped a few days on top depending on results..Ultra light sounds like it would do it..Haag does it all over the world..Buy his catalog, it's worth it! That's how I learned. That Playa's got to have black-stones, and no need to worry about sinking..Keep in contact..Lupe

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
Some day I will meet Mr.Haag I have talked with him..Very nice man and very professional too.I have his book and I thank him very much.I will make him proud of me.I won't stop until I have found a meteorite.I did when I was younger but lost it while moving.It was certified by a lab as a meteorite sent in by Mid State Tech..

OP
OP
D

don Lupe

Hi; OR. not for me! Rainy, too many resrictions, bad trip..Next time I'll fly and rent trans. The driving was hiddious.. In Mina NV. been camped in mnts detecting rugged mnt. Love it, was out of touch for weeks, not a human sound..not even me!..Nothing!! Anybody ever see a meteor explode in this area? Heading for Tonopah-Rachel areas next. anybody been in these areas? HUMMM?

Fish-Head Aric

Greenie
Sep 5, 2005
Chehalis, WA USA
don Lupe said:
Hi; OR. not for me! Rainy, too many resrictions, bad trip..Next time I'll fly and rent trans. The driving was hiddious.. In Mina NV. been camped in mnts detecting rugged mnt. Love it, was out of touch for weeks, not a human sound..not even me!..Nothing!! Anybody ever see a meteor explode in this area? Heading for Tonopah-Rachel areas next. anybody been in these areas?? HUMMM?
Don,

The key to visiting Port Orford area, or any Pacific Northwest, is to aim for mid-July through early September. The area is then ideal for camping. Otherwise it gets too cold at night, and the rain, well... you experienced it.

I grew up in the Southern Oregon Coast area, and my family is actually from Port Orford. There are a number of stories of lost treasures in that area.

Just curious, what do you know of the Port Orford Meteorite?

~Aric Fisher [email protected]

OP
OP
D

don Lupe

Aric; to reply. I'm back in Green Valley AZ.. Just came out of mnts trying to get into canyon where Haags Tucson Ring ,meteorite came in. I was in canyon years ago but didnt reconice it for what is was. Problem now is excess. All ranch gates are locked and Forest Service is unfriendly by leting trails deterorate.. Just too hard for me. Had to give up...anyways, thanks for your tip on weather..As far as this meteorite is concerned.. I belive the not very bright "Miner" actualy found some of it, the NI trace, and no one took him serious..People are are such a pain when it comes to purity of reason. The Noetic side of it...I do some work as a Empath and get paid by my sucess. Some private invester groups who0 are serious people and a joy to work with..Blah-blah,. Basta.. Later.

Fish-Head Aric

Greenie
Sep 5, 2005
Chehalis, WA USA
don Lupe said:
Aric; to reply. I'm back in Green Valley AZ.. Just came out of mnts trying to get into canyon where Haags Tucson Ring ,meteorite came in. I was in canyon years ago but didnt reconice it for what is was. Problem now is excess. All ranch gates are locked and Forest Service is unfriendly by leting trails deterorate.. Just too hard for me. Had to give up...anyways, thanks for your tip on weather..As far as this meteorite is concerned.. I belive the not very bright "Miner" actualy found some of it, the NI trace, and no one took him serious..People are are such a pain when it comes to purity of reason. The Noetic side of it...I do some work as a Empath and get paid by my sucess. Some private invester groups who0 are serious people and a joy to work with..Blah-blah,. Basta.. Later.

Well, just to add a bit of interesting flavor to the Port Orford Meteorite story, there was a Port Orford man, a former in-law of mine, who worked in the forests until he retired, forging logging roads in southwestern Oregon, including much of Curry County (Port Orford area). He confides a story to a select few people, including my sister (formerly married to his grandson). He claims that, many years ago, he was driving bulldozer in one of the mountain areas suspected to be a site for the meteorite.

He struck against a very large boulder with the blade of his dozer. It scraped and sparked heavily. He thought it more like a metal-to-metal impact than a mere stone. Since it was right in the path of his intended road, he heaved the massive obastacle with the bulldozer, pushing it into a close-by pond where it sunk completely out of sight.

Since the experience, and when sharing it, my sister says he always adamantly denies that he ever had anything to do with losing the Port Orford meteorite.

True story? Hard to say, I have always felt that of all the sorts of people to discover the lost meteorite, timber workers with such jobs as this oldtimer would be the ones most likely to come upon the Port Orford meteorite, because their jobs take them over so much land as a simple course of their duties. Prospectors and treasure hunters who may have a general idea of where to look, but not truly adequate time or resources to canvas such a large area of land, simply work on odds not unlike betting on horses, with a bit of chance due to educated guesses and general information, but really still having odds against them.

Am truly sorry that the land has become so accessible. I have noticed as well over the last 20 years or so the areas I used to frequent with fairly free reign are now very closed up and unfriendly toward strangers. Of course this is with good reason, and anymore an explorer has to forge a relationship and trust with those land managers/owners before ever getting anywhere.

I hope you enjoyed this rare bit of "possibility." I have found it much more plausible than some of the discredit efforts, in any case.

~Aric Fisher

OP
OP
D

don Lupe

Aric.. This sounds reasonable.. problem with pond.. there was no report as such.. only discovered on steep sloap near top of ridge/range. btwn u/me Jhonson prarie fits in..plus staying with mineral id.. in palisites Ni is a player..Thanks for reply.. Now at foot if Santa Ritas below Tucson with canyon in sight but access denied by ranchers/Experimental Range with locked gates. wasn't there when I first explored canyon. But I keep at it. No other course...

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Suggest you read "Rocks From Space" by O. Richard Norton. The Port Orford meteorite is bogus. It was made up by an expedition leader trying to raise money.

OP
OP
D

don Lupe

Jonster said:
'I'm after a good sized Meteorite I witnessed crashing in the area'

How funny. It's been a few years but I did see one head into the 'area' one evening while I out on La Playa. Folks had seen it as far as Tucson , but what the papers reported as far as area did not match up with my own witness. I drove out where I thought it was and walked ridges looking for a crater. Sure would? be nioce to have an ultalight for that kind of thing! Needless to say, I didnt find it.
.jonster..been camped out from Green Valley most weeks have coffee out by library and play flamenco for Kieth. Hunting out in S.Ritas..see you some time?

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Possible to get together. Things are pretty busy now.
I have an Infinium still in the box waiting to get out, there would be a great place.

A

almittmet

Greetings to all,

I'm a new member but an oldtimer to meteorites. The post about the Port Orford Meteorite is an interesting topic to me and I have done some extensive research on the topic. I thank a friend of mine for providing the information I have. Although the official status of the Port Orford Meteorite by the Smithsonian is a hoax, I disagree with the findings. First John Evan's map that was used was a copied version. It is possible his wife copied it. So the search has been done using an un-original document. Second, based on items in my meteorite library, I firmly believe that the researchers were on the wrong mountain. John Evans credibility was also questioned and it was suggested that he was a bad businessman and was irresponsible with government grants. However Evans ran into the Oregon Gold rush and found things to be very expensive and why he later requested more funds along with more funds to finish his logs and publish his findings after his exploration. Please see this link for more details on my post refuting the findings that John Evans was not a responsible individual:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mwnews/PortOrford091993b.htm

In the late 1800's there were many landslides from winter snows and one thing that Evans had stated that the meteorite stuck out from the side of a mountain and was in a paciourious (sp?) spot where it could be lost due to landslides. I believe that if the meteorite exists it could be buried quite deep at this time. One other thing that was pointed out in the report by the Smithsonian was the samples from the Port Orford Meteorite were Imilac. I can't disagree with that but the pieces were sent to several different places and I feel it is possible were either misplaced in the transit to the Smithsonian or may have even deliberately sent the wrong specimens and the original find was kept by another scientist that had a run in with them. I know there are a lot of unusual circumstances in this whole story but I like to always be as open minded as I possible can to seek the real truth. A hoax is one possibility but I think there are too many holes in their theory of a hoax and many things that don't match up.

I'd like to invite people who are interested in meteorites over to another forum that is strictly for that topic. It might be helpful to those needing information about how to identify meteorites and general meteorite questions. I'd invite you to read my Nininger Moments which are the tales of a great American meteorite hunter. I'll also pop back in here to this forum in case anyone addresses my post. Thank you for your time. All my best!

--AL Mitt.

pgleba said:
Suggest you read "Rocks From Space" by O. Richard Norton. The Port Orford meteorite is bogus. It was made up by an expedition leader trying to raise money.

OP
OP
D

don Lupe

Al;; very good reasoning...the original discoverer was a surveyer, collector fauna ect his line of surveying was? the gold camp he visited, his physical dicription of the ltrails he was following,,his sample of the Pallisite was among many samples and he claimed no knowledege of meteorites. but the his Journel is stolen!!! all his notes missing,, and from the Smithsonian, ( people I dislike emmensely, Robers all,, Willimete, Old Woman,, ect.. bad history there.. any way thanks..Good hunting... I have a tip for all meteorite hunters, as I am, . but I'll save that for later.

A

almittmet

Hi Don and all,

Evan's Journel, I believe was never released to the Smithsonian in full because no funds were made available to publish it. The copy was in the handwriting of Evan's wife and perhaps details were left out until the journels were published. Evan's wife tried several times to get them published but then the civil war was going on and a economic depression was hitting the coutry as well as the rest of the world during that time. All my best!

--AL M.

OP
OP
D

don Lupe

don Lupe here; thanks all..one fact not dwelled upon is the Chrome/nickel miner that claimed he had located meteorite up above his mine, sent samples to whomever and didn't get a reply..this sounds plausable to me, from a behaviorist attitude- and experience with those in seats of power/knowledge... Example..I've appraised two unrelated meteorites recently, both 7 pounders on bathroom scale..( we do it this way here!).. at Gem show one arrogant Dealer tell my client that his meteorite is from South America and does not mention price...the dealer is scaming..and pretends to know about meteorites...I tell client to contact Haag...at least he knows his craft...anyway I didn't get my 10% fee for marketing....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions