Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Portland Fred Meyer & Save-a-Lot stores Refuses Shopper's Money, Make her Cry

A woman in Portland said her local grocery store refused to allow her to pay for her shopping cart items with $32 in loose change.

The shopper, who was too embarrassed to use her name, said the clerk at the Save-a-Lot store would only accept $5 of the change, claiming it was store policy, KATU reported.

The woman told KATU that she tried to use her loose change at another area grocery to buy her family food -- a Fred Meyer store -- but the manager there directed her to a coin exchange machine instead, where the fees run about 10 percent.

She said the Fred Meyer manager later agreed to cover the exchange machine fee after she started sobbing.

Representatives from each of the stores later apologized for the incidents, and advised that store employees and managers would be retrained on checkout policies -- specifically that all payments, cash or coin, were accepted.

Read more: http://www.wptz.com/news/29661621/detail.html#ixzz1ca8wtJkQ

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Portland Fred Meyer & Save-a-Lot stores Refuses Shopper's Money, Make her Cry

But food stamps are readily accepted! ::) I wouldn't have started sobbing, I would have refused to leave until they took my money.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Portland Fred Meyer & Save-a-Lot stores Refuses Shopper's Money, Make her Cry

I Like the end

store employees and managers would be retrained on checkout policies -- specifically that all payments, cash or coin, were accepted.

A gee ! A store actually accepting all U.s. money :laughing7:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, but I bet they didn't show them what all the different types of U.S. currency looks like. Half of them probably never saw a half dollar or Ike dollar or 2 dollar bill. Or if they have, they probably their it's worth alot of money. :thumbsup:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

She was for real buying food for the family and all she had was all that change? Well, if that's the case, as a former (thank God) member of management of the largest retailer in the universe as Bentonville knows it, had my cashier called me and I saw the the situation and that's how it really was, I would have refused her change, too. Just pay it out of my own pocket. $32 in change has the potential to be a lot of coins, and it could be a scam, but I wouldn't feel bad about payin it, if she would accept. Course, I probably would casually scan the change for any random silver or at least wheat cents. Strange, I am now employed in management in another retailer in which Meyer is part of the chain.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yup, probably the last thing she needed to hear, trying to feed her family.

Though, I bet the CRH guys in that area will like to hear the new policy.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Damn I have Several Dollars In Corroded Zinc Pennies I need to Get Rid of,,,, Freddy's Here I come... as Long as the Have Better Service :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: Never Shop there They Have the Highest Prices along with SafeWay

I Will just start Crying And Saying I'm going to Call The Federal Reserve!!!! You Have to Take them It's Real Money CHUG

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio

diggummup said:
But food stamps are readily accepted! ::) I wouldn't have started sobbing, I would have refused to leave until they took my money.
I would of set the money down (knowing it was enough and legit), then left the store with my groceries, and dared them to stop me! Whats the worst that could happen? Its not stealing, I have money, its all there! Maybe Barney security guard will tackle me in parking lot. $$$$$$ Oh woe is me! :-\

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ohioaxeman said:
diggummup said:
I would of set the money down (knowing it was enough and legit), then left the store with my groceries, and dared them to stop me! Whats the worst that could happen? Its not stealing, I have money, its all there! Maybe Barney security guard will tackle me in parking lot. $$$$$$ Oh woe is me! :-\

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: Come on Barney!!! Chug wants to Rumble!!!!! Yes Its Friday And I Have had few But Its Slow On Here Tonight !!!! LOL

wheelerite

Feb 2, 2008
canby,oregon
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter

somebody in line offered to pay for her groceries while the manager was there thats when they changed their tune about her paying with change. I imagine those people also said they would never be back.I know I wouldn't be back if they wouldn't accept change.
Ksmith

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pay the charge for coin bank or whatever it is or go to the bank with wrapped coins and get some darn cash without a charge. ya know coin wrappers are free at banks, just gotta ask.

this irks me, it isn't that she should not be allowed to pay change, she can.......but geez the disruption of services to other happens. i sure as heck don't want to be in line behind her.

come on, grow up ya'll and realize life moves fast now, life is not about $32 in change it is about making sure you 'change it up to make' it fast spendable.

I do. and ya'll do too....

yea the store should take it, but what a pain in the arse if the woman was in front of me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread