Posible civil war prison camp

mystro68

Jan 29, 2007
mid tennessee
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 -bh pioneer 505
Have been trying to research a site that we found in Jackson County Tn . Have heard rumors that it used to be a old civil war prison. Also there used to be an old settlement called Old Columbus that was destroyed by the union army back in 1862.The prison site has alot of rock walls and a old well on the site,also with what they call a sweat box. It is close to the Cumberland river ,and is also about 10 miles from what used to be fort Blount,(williamsburg) one of the oldest settlements in this area.Any info on this will be appreciated. Seems the county or state has no info on this area.

Upvote 0

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, good luck. Sounds like a good site.

digitall423

Jan 28, 2007
Old Columbus was the first county seat of Polk County. It was abandoned when the county seat was moved to Benton. The union army merely used what was left of the old buildings to construct a bridge across the Hiwassee river. I read reciently that some old graves had been restored there. If you would like to detect there I might be able to get permission. It is on private farmland but my wife was raised just a mile or two from there.
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread