Possibile GT 16000 purchase advice

ground pirate

Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I am newb to metal detecting, although I have been doing quite a bit of research so I am familiar with the brands and what type of detector i want for N. Arizona.
I was on the verge of getting a Vaquero when I ran across a gt 16000 in a pawn shop for 125.00. It appeals to me a because of the price and the fact that it has true auto GB, and at the time it was considered a top of the line detector. I am conflicted because I know the Vaquero is a good detector but I don't know if manual gb will be a pain or not. I have read where people have to do it every few feet which seems to me would get old real quick. Are these people exaggerating or does it really depend on where you are at?
I am willing to spend the 450+ if the Vaquero is that much better plus the peace of mind of having a machine under warranty . On the other hand 125 for a working gt 16000 seems like a no brainer. I am awaiting word on whether Minelab still services these, which for me is a big factor in my purchase.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy the Tesoro,lifetime warranty

saltwater_max

Jan 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
All Brands,Whites Garrett,Tesoro,Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ground pirate said:
Hi, I am newb to metal detecting, although I have been doing quite a bit of research so I am familiar with the brands and what type of detector i want for N. Arizona.
I was on the verge of getting a Vaquero when I ran across a gt 16000 in a pawn shop for 125.00. It appeals to me a because of the price and the fact that it has true auto GB, and at the time it was considered a top of the line detector. I am conflicted because I know the Vaquero is a good detector but I don't know if manual gb will be a pain or not. I have read where people have to do it every few feet which seems to me would get old real quick. Are these people exaggerating or does it really depend on where you are at?
I am willing to spend the 450+ if the Vaquero is that much better plus the peace of mind of having a machine under warranty . On the other hand 125 for a working gt 16000 seems like a no brainer. I am awaiting word on whether Minelab still services these, which for me is a big factor in my purchase.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Save your 125.00 et a Tesoro lobo,vaquero,or tejon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread