Possible 12lb cannonball river find while magnet fishing... interesting story!

staceyanne

Greenie
Jun 21, 2013
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Haldean

Feb 11, 2019
Burlington NC
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow is all I can say. Thanks for the post. I enjoyed the read. Don't give up on the cannon ball theory. I have seen old iron that didn't have much rust before. Not all iron is created equal. Sometimes the iron may have been heated quite a bit in the manufacture process and perhaps cooled quickly hardening the outside. These type items seem to inhibit rust. They probably used any iron they could get their hands on so you never know the composition of it. The south was using any scrap metal they could find for the war effort.

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hadnt considered it being eroded from the bank, we were quite a way from either shore on the river. The area the ball was lodged in was kind of blocked off in a way that it almost had to be placed near where we found it... Unless it was able to float up and over several large rocks, crevices etc. The river is the lowest it's been in quite some time right now so I dont think the area we found it is usually above water level... I'm quite sure this spot would never be dry actually. The measurements, history of the location and all the other variables lead me to believe this IS a cannonball. I cant imagine what another 12lb ball(not just 12lb, but on par with the ordinance manual weight and diameter) like this would be doing within firing range of a 12lb napoleon cannon in a known civil war battle site. I'm still holding my breath for thecannonballguy, but he usually seems to stick with the measurements etc... he may not feel the need to post? I'm sure hes a busy man... outside the hundred possible cannonballs we send him every day, lol. I'm fairly confident at this point. We took the ball to the local heritage museum (to show it off) and the curator "had no doubt" this ball was from the battle of Asheville... but he is no expert on cannonballs(just the battle). As for the condition, I have no clue. Nature is amazing lol. I've pulled other iron out of the river that i know wasnt as old as civil war era, and it was crusted as youd expect. But I've also pulled some old relics that look great and the bullets and other items we dig tend to be pretty nice. Not sure if the river actually protects some items? We will be back out every chance we get, just had enough rain to wash away some dirt but not really raise the water level much.(great creek walking now too!) We are probably hitting our Civil war bushwacker camp today... if the weather cooperates. I'll be checking in on this post for any more info! Thanks for the support and all the help and opinions you guys!
Jim Brown
Bonez Customs and Collectables
@bonezcustoms on IG

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/