Possible 1970-s small date, need opinions!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, I was going through a penny box and I always check for the 72 DDO and 70S small date, and I came across this cent, it appears to be a 1970s small date by the inside curve of the 9, but I am not entirely sure... Can anybody help me determine if it is indeed a 1970s small date cent? And I know it is in bad shape, does it have any particular value to it?

Here's the site I used to distinguish it from the other 1970-s penneis.
Thanks
1970 S Small Date

p.s. sorry about the piece of paper through the one image, that was part of the penny wrapper it came from :tongue3:
IMG_0003.jpg IMG_0004.jpg

Upvote 0

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you have one there, sorry. The 7 in the SD variety is flush with the top of the 9 & 0, and the

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... Bottom of the 7 doesn't hang below the 0 either. Most SDs I have seen also have some weakness in LIBERTY, especially TY (as in the pics you linked to).

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sorry, Buff. Keep on looking. The site you linked is very good in explaining the differences. Just looking at the nine, yours does not curve and point at the seven. Yours is pointing at the mintmark.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks BB, I thought I had one, but it is nice to get opinions, now I know to toss it in sack to be returned to the bank :)
HH
BB

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DD, I'll keep looking, I know i'll find one some day :)
Sorry, Buff. Keep on looking. The site you linked is very good in explaining the differences. Just looking at the nine, yours does not curve and point at the seven. Yours is pointing at the mintmark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions