Possible best hunt so far. POCKET SPILL!!!!

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I must say first of all that I thank Tom_of_CA and Iron patch for this find. It didn't quite happen the way I thought it would. It's not even what we were really talking about BUT I still feel that if I hadn't been thinking about some of the advise I received from these two great guys who took the time to talk to me that this hunt wouldn't have turned out the way it did.

They say this park is hunted out......they say anyone that owns a MD within 50 miles has hunted this park since the 1960s and there is nothing left to find.....

...that's why I keep going back!

Well it was more than I could have hoped for. I started the day with one goal. To dig everything deep no matter what it sounded like and hopefully come across something someone missed. I had my big 12 inch coil on and was having a blast but not finding much. I think I dug a total of 7 zinc Penny's the whole day (gave iffy signals) Then I was wrapping up. I knew I only had about a half hour left. So I debated with myself.

Me 1: Just start cherry picking and see if you can just get something before you leave.
Me 2: No, you came here with a goal to hunt the whole time in all-metal and dig everything deep.
Me 1: I know...I should stick to that. I said I would and Patience is the key with these things.
Me 2: That's right. You said you were going to try this so stick to it.
Me 1: Sigh.....but I don't want to get skunked.
Me 2: .....well me neither but that was also part of the deal remember? To try even if we found nothing.
Me 1: I know...but I probably won't find anything either way. I did what I said I was going to. I learned a lot! But know I want to go easy for the next half hour.
Me 2: Fine...but you won't find anything and then you will wonder if you would have if you had kept at it.

(I'm not really crazy...but all this did happen in my mind and I just thought I would share my "Smeagol" moment. :laughing7:)

So I switched over to my custom setting and was only listening to the good signals. While at the same time convincing myself that I had completed the exercise that I had set out to do.

THEN.....it happend. I was headed towards some trees that I had hunted time and time again. And there it was. A signal that would make an Angel cry. Kept bouncing between 50 cents and a dollar. My GTI said coin size 4-5 inches deep. I wondered for a moment if it could really be that good. It wasn't really that deep (for this park) but it just sounded like silver.

So I dug.

The dirt literally seemed to open up and spill silver coins. I half-panicked. Started looking over my shoulders. No one was around. Am I really seeing this. How has nobody found this? I started taking pictures. My hands were shaking as I pulled them out of the whole. Four coins total. And maybe some of you wouldn't be as excited as I was/am but this is so rare for me. I very carefully put them in a separate holder in my pouch and called it a day. I took them home dirt and all to clean very carefully. After a careful soap/warm water bath the dirt came off but they had left a strange stain on each other where they had been laying one on top the other. I think they look better that way and didn't clean them anymore.

Before I left I rescaned the hole and got nothing but Iron signals. I dug everything in a 5 foot square and nothing but trash. This had to be the reason that nobody had found it yet and I must have hit it just right to get the good signal next to the 2 nails and 2 pop tops that were only an inch away from it. I went and bought a plastic holder that they all fit in together. It might seem silly but I just couldn't separate them knowing that they have been together for 60 years. The spill obviously happend around the time of the Roosevelt dime and the person just had some good old change mixed in there to. That also explains why the quarter and the merc are so beat up. They both have old scratches that you can see but they were not done by me.

Thanks for looking.
Super Excited!! TG

Attachments

• IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 1,410
  • IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 1,421
  • IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 1,422
  • IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0462.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,420
  • IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,394
  • IMG_0465.jpg
    IMG_0465.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,396
  • IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,402
  • IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,396
  • IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,399
  • IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,384
  • IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,391
Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pocket spill. Congrats! :thumbsup:

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE JOB!!

It gets the cool vote from me. They are never hunted out, you just need to work harder to find what is there.

Bob

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I've never found more than 2 coins in the same hole so I think that's pretty good! :thumbsup: I think that find is also proof that with the Garrett it's better to run a little disc. and become a digging machine! My bud ironhorse would go to a part with his GTI, put his head down and just dig signals, and find some good stuff. When you're talking coins from the last 100 years they can turn up very shallow, sometimes so close to the surface others have passed on digging them. There's also a lot of neat stuff you'll find that won't be a coin signal.

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
Great story! When you get so used to seeing dark colored dirty old clad all the time it sure is nice to flip a plug and see that shine that time does'nt take away,(most of the time!). :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

rogues71

May 9, 2009
mesa az
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
great dig you had there, and i have to agree there is nothing like the feeling you get when you hit silver and your heart starts racing from a dime to a dollar silver gets you going gratz

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet find. Gotta love those pld pocket spills. I think I've heared that word "hunted out" before. Good job :hello2:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
judging from the looks of the coin-circulations vs the dates, it appears this is a late 1940s loss. And if 1940s losses are at ~ 6" ..... and you say the park dates back to the 1890s, then there may be some stuff out of reach still for you :) So git that explorer! :headbang:

As for everyone missing a "gimmee" signal like that, there is a possible explanation: believe it or not, some persons, in their quest to pass clad, and only dig deeper signals, will actually pass anything that sounds too loud, or reads too shallow, on their detector. I know, for example, of parks where I will not dig anything UNLESS the depth readout is beyond 6". And sometimes I'm not even looking at the depth meter. I just ignore louder sounding stuff. Which of course, on some occasions, could be a shallow half, or a multiple-coin pocket spill at 6", etc...

I even heard of a lady digging up a silver dollar in a worked out park, that was only about 2" deep in shallow hardpan at the base of a tree. The area veterans that saw this find, figured that everyone had been passing the signal for years, thinking it was a sprinkler head :dontknow:

But hey: you can't argue with silver :)

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Now THAT'S a heck of a spill! I love that quarter, so worn, so much character. :thumbsup:

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
The quarter and merc are pretty worn, but still a sweet pocket spill! I'd love to find all those in one hole. Nice job :headbang:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: sweet lil pocket spill , that'll make a hunt go by fast .

HH Tank :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Tom_in_CA said:
judging from the looks of the coin-circulations vs the dates, it appears this is a late 1940s loss. And if 1940s losses are at ~ 6" ..... and you say the park dates back to the 1890s, then there may be some stuff out of reach still for you :) So git that explorer! :headbang:

As for everyone missing a "gimmee" signal like that, there is a possible explanation: believe it or not, some persons, in their quest to pass clad, and only dig deeper signals, will actually pass anything that sounds too loud, or reads too shallow, on their detector. I know, for example, of parks where I will not dig anything UNLESS the depth readout is beyond 6". And sometimes I'm not even looking at the depth meter. I just ignore louder sounding stuff. Which of course, on some occasions, could be a shallow half, or a multiple-coin pocket spill at 6", etc...

I even heard of a lady digging up a silver dollar in a worked out park, that was only about 2" deep in shallow hardpan at the base of a tree. The area veterans that saw this find, figured that everyone had been passing the signal for years, thinking it was a sprinkler head :dontknow:

But hey: you can't argue with silver :)

I've thought about that also. In fact I almost always dig bell tones even if I think it's a sprinkler head just to make sure. I also always dig big signals that are close to the ground that give me an overload on my coil. I figure I have a better chance of finding say a recently lost heavy gold chain that's right under the grass that way. I have found a lot of silverware doing this. Thanks for the reply!

TG

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
txpathfinder said:
Nice post, the suspense was great and your results did not disappoint. Continued success. Now what's Smeagol?

Thanks for the reply. Smeagol is a charactor in "The Lord of the Rings" book. Simply explained: he had an evil ring that poisoned his mind for over 500 years. He is now an evil and twisted creature in mind and body. He loses the ring. He trys to find the ring. The new owner of the ring, Frodo, is of the same race that Smeagol was and is on a mission to destroy the ring thus cleansing the land of evil. Smeagol catches up with Frodo and eventually starts to like his company. When this happens he has a quarrel with himself in his mind. The good side (Smeagol) argues with the evil side (Gollum) about wheather or not to stay Smeagol and become Frodos friend or wheather to let his Gollum side kill Frodo and take back the ring. He conducts the argument outloud as Frodo sleeps and, at that time decides to remain Smeagol and tells Gollum to leave and never come back. This is a pivotal moment for the charactor. Smeagol eventually turns back into Gollum but through his last evil deed of taking back the ring from Frodo he inadvertently destroys it. The leason in the book being that not even the wise can see all ends for it was fortold that Gollum still had some part to play in the history of the ring for good or bad. This was told to a few different characters that expressed a wish to just kill Gollum and get it over with.

Anyway, that should explain my "Smeagol" moment. I'm a pretty big LOTR buff....if you hadn't noticed.
TG

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Hey everyone. Thanks so much for all the great comments! I wish I had time to reply to each one. But a general thanks will have to do. HH

TG

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spills are always welcome finds!!!!!!! nice :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread