Possible cache

always_late

Oct 2, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Five years ago I was hiking in a canyon of the San Gabriel mountains. This is a short 5 mile round trip hike that I do about once a week. It is close to my house and easy to get to. Much of the hike follows a blacktopped road that was built in the early 1920’s. While I was walking, I noticed a coin on the ground. I picked it up, initially thinking it was a penny, and found that it was an 1854 one dollar gold piece. I spent the next hour searching the area a found nothing else. My best guess was that someone else hiking had lost it.

About a year later, I walked past a man metal detecting an area about 50 yards from where I found the coin. I asked him if he had found anything and he said “just a few bottle tops”. That got me thinking about the coin. I passed this man about 30 minutes later on my way back. This time I asked, “finding any gold?” He stopped dead and took off his head set and stared at me for a minute. He asked me if I had found any gold. I had nothing to lose and I wanted as much information as he would tell me so I told him about my coin. He smiled and told me that I should keep quiet about it. He said that he too had found “a coin or two” along this stretch of road. But he wouldn’t tell me anything more. That same year I found a two and half dollar gold piece within 10 feet of where I found my first coin.

I have seen the man a few times over the last 4 years. Up until recently, we have shared a little small talk but he never tells me if has found anything. This last meeting was different, he explained that his health was failing and he was going to move to Arizona to be closer to his family. He said that he might as well tell someone everything he knew about the area and the gold. He told me that over the past 10 years that he had found 12 gold coins. All of these were either one dollar, two and half dollar or five dollar gold pieces. The newest coin was 1856. All coins were found after a heavy rain. His theory was that a cache of coins were buried or hidden and that they were disturbed during the building of the road. He thought that rain uncovered the coins. Five of coins that he found were in plain sight and the others were metal detected and found in less than an inch of dirt.

I don’t know if his theory is correct. It seems to me that these coins would be buried deeper and would not be uncovered by rain on level ground. This road was cut into the side of hill. There is a seasonal stream in the valley 50 feet below on one side of the road and a very steep hill going up for about 200 feet on the other side. My guess is that the coins are being washed down to the road from someplace above. The slope of the hills on both sides of the road are too steep and heavily covered with brush to easily climb. There is a trail on the hilltop but I cannot see anything from that trail and the hill gets progressively steeper as you start going down the hill; too steep to easily walk. If my theory is correct, then I suppose that more coins might be present in the valley at the bottom of the hill.

The old man shared one last piece of information. He showed me a spot on the road where he claims his metal detector is showing something big that he believes is gold. The problem of course is that this is an asphalt road and I cannot just dig it up.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. Interesting story you have. You didn't indicate if you also metal detect so I'm guessing not. If you believe the gentleman and also have found 2 such coins in the area then the reason the coins were there is moot. Disturbed cache or just a really big pocket (saddle bag?) spill makes no difference. Go buy a detector and start looking.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story! I'd suggest buying a decent detector and scour the place. Also, if that road doesn't get much traffic and that signal seems like a pot-o-gold then a stealthy visit in the night may be in order, along with a bag of asphalt patch/repair tarred gravel stuff to fix the road after you extract your retirement from it. If I was quite certain the spot was the source of the gold laws or pavement wouldn't stop me, though I would certainly try to fix everything back up to the best of my ability.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where's it at exactly? I'll go find it for you.

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
- check the dates on the coins you found and write them down in order. Then check local newspaper archives from time frame for robberies. Wells Fargo, banks, anything that would make the papers.
- get Blum or forest service map of area. Pinpoint exactly where you found each coin, time of year. Check to see if there are any patterns where coins migrated from above and concentrate on that area. Also go below grade to see where other coins may be lodged in ledges low spots etc
- invest in a metal detector. Check the spot in the road. If it gives you a signal contact the Southern California treasure hunters association and see if someone has a 2 Box detector to verify your spot.
- most of all, have fun with your journey. You already found some cool coins. Possible robbbery loot cached bear the road. Robbers would not have closed moved too high up or had time to bury very deep

Good luck

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here’s an idea... not a recommendation of course, as I would rarely recommend that one should undertake an obviously illegal activity, but just some thoughts. A person could buy a nice metal detector from one of the vendors on Treasurenet. Then one could purchase some cones and a couple of “Road Work Ahead” signs and make a couple of sand bags for the signs. Then a person could search the area where you and he found the coins. One could also find the spot in the road and, say, in mid-December, spray paint a circle on it with gloss black paint. That should shine nicely under LED flashlight. One could also mark it on a GPS so that one could quickly find it at night. Then, on a low traffic night, say... Christmas Eve or Christmas night, in the wee hours of the morning, one could set out the “Road Work Ahead” signs and cones. One could then get dropped off by a trusted accomplice since one wouldn’t want their vehicle to be there (in case the fuzz or nosy neighbors get curious). One could then dig a hole with a pick, 18 lb. pinch-point bar, and a heavy-duty sharpshooter (e.g. AMS sharpshooter) to see what’s there, while temporarily running off to hide from any vehicles which may pass by. Some asphalt repair would be required once the object is removed, so one would also want that and a good tamping tool. Just some thoughts... Good luck!!!

ps... I accept tips.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oooh this is an amazing story! Sounds like a novel. I wish I was you right now... the mystery, the adventure... and GOLD!!! Very few people are in the position you are in so use it well and search will all your might.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Cold patch flat out isn’t the same as normal asphalt. It never really hardens and there will be a big pothole there in no time as the traffic pushes the cold patch out of the hole and it lumps up. I think digging in the road is a terrible idea and unless that’s a huge hoard of gold the cost of correctly repairing the road damage could easily surpass any value the hoard may have.

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you stated the older gentleman detects I wonder if it would not be worth figuring out where the ping is at and digging at it from the side. Find the closest dirt then dig down and over.

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where's it at exactly? I'll go find it for you.

He is not gonna tell you that and you shouldn't ask that. Question... if you knew where gold was would you tell someone you don't know where the location is??? Of course not.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Question... if you knew where gold was would you tell someone you don't know where the location is??? Of course not.

It depends on whether or not I needed someone to flush out any danger or trouble that might be lurking about. I definitely wouldn't ask someone I know to do that. That's what strangers are for. That's why they call it "stranger danger".

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cold patch flat out isn’t the same as normal asphalt. It never really hardens and there will be a big pothole there in no time as the traffic pushes the cold patch out of the hole and it lumps up. I think digging in the road is a terrible idea and unless that’s a huge hoard of gold the cost of correctly repairing the road damage could easily surpass any value the hoard may have.

Obviously, digging a hole in the road wouldn't be my first action. I'd search around and especially uphill with the detector first. The coins may have been tucked into a rock outcrop and with time and erosion, are now being washed down which is why they're on or near the surface, as suggested by the OP. However, if that searching didn't reveal anything, I'd consider other possibilities and potential actions. Considering that the found coins were on or near the surface and strewn about, it's possible that during the road construction, a grader may have scraped the top of the cached coins and fanned some of them out along a narrow area beside the road. That would be another explanation as to why they're on or near the surface. And you're absolutely right... the repair job wouldn't be perfect, but hey, what's a little pothole between friends? Besides, I'm sure that the OP pays taxes. Who's to say that he didn't pay for that square foot of roadway? Not I. If I was reasonably sure that there was a cache of gold coins under the asphalt, I'd borrow a Speed Limit 25 MPH sign, buy some cones and other signs (e.g. Reduced Speed Ahead, Road Work Ahead, One Lane Road Ahead), and one peaceful night, you WOULD NOT CATCH ME happily chipping away at the road. And even if I was wrong and only dug up a rusty hunk of unrecognizable junk, I'd still continue to search the area and I'd smile every time I saw my pothole.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thaty road would be a dirt road lol This guys wife might plant a gold him to get him out of the house worth it to her

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously some people can't understand when someone is joking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread