possible cannonball

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello to all, Found this last year and bought it.
Dimensions are 3.25 inches by weight Cannonball.jpg 3.5 lbs.
First piece I ever bought.
There appears to be a seam running horizontally.
Also, has a bunch of plough scars and some pitted surface.
Does it conform to a shell dimensions?
Thanks for looking.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you very nuch SW GA.

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is about the same size and weight of this one I found from the Battle of Jonesboro, GA.

D.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dharmacy,
Tell us about your find. Depth of recovery and machine you used. I read the range for that type of shell was 1100 yards.Thanks for your photo and comments. al11

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dharmacy,
Tell us about your find. Depth of recovery and machine you used. I read the range for that type of shell was 1100 yards.Thanks for your photo and comments. al11

I found this one back around the early 90's along the Confederate retreat route from the Battle of Jonesboro. I was using my old 1266, this was a construction site so will never know the actual depth, as it was in the loose dirt piles. We found several different fuses and shell fragments as the Union troops were shelling the Confederates as they were slowed down crossing the Flint River.

D.

Last edited:
OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Tennessee River is a mile away from where it was found and there was a fleet of gunboats down there so I am with you both on the grape shot I'd. Thanks a11

Dual Hunter

Jan 18, 2009
Middle River MD.
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030. Xp deus.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
grapeshot came in all sizes from marble size to baseball size ,most ive found were really poor condition iron about the size of a quarter

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grapeshot came in all sizes from marble size to baseball size ,most ive found were really poor condition iron about the size of a quarter

I concur .
The only Iron ones I have dug were near Chickamaga (late 1990's) & Half Dollar Size ? Tho I have not see them in years after preserving them the best I could at the time.

I find more Small 69 ish Lead Balls. Grape Shot, they were in a Ball when fired.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread