pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't mean currently active; I'm talking about old RoWs where the tracks may have been torn up, now in private ownership.

Are they worth detecting, or is there just too much iron?
I have one permission where a R/R track ran through the field.(long ago torn out)
Lots of big iron.

It all depends on age of the R/R also.
Most tracks were constructed by manual labour. Lots of men and they lived in temporary camps.
The bridges/tunnel/rock cuts will have these camps close on either side of that construction.
The camps were usually was the first bit of flat land.
Besides that the finds along just an open piece of track would be limited.
No foot traffic, folks doing activities.

I'm just going on where we hunted 50 yrs ago along the CPRail line in BC.

OP
OP
Bucket Lister

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perhaps more productive would be searching where the RXR station platforms or parking areas used to be.
Don in SoCal.
IDT those were sold with the RoWs. Platforms, stations, parking... are all real estate separated from the track RoW.

Closest would be RR museum/hysterical society. That's in an old depot, but likely been detected to death... 🤷‍♂️

Thanks guys. I thought it was worth asking, since interests overlap.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Many of the Stations were sold off and removed. You will need to determine the current owner of the property and get permission. Tracks will be worth detecting when the price of scrap steel goes over $2 a pound. :cat:

My family has a large RR Station on one of their ranches that was "won" in a poker game. It cost much more to move it than it would ever be worth.
Moral of the story:
Don't drink and play poker with cowboys at the same time.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve found a lot of good info in this book. Maps and info on abandoned railroad lines.
IMG_4912.jpeg

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't mean currently active; I'm talking about old RoWs where the tracks may have been torn up, now in private ownership.

Are they worth detecting, or is there just too much iron?
Yes , it might be difficult but there is really no place that is not worth detecting , because treasure can be where it's not ever supposed to be . Just my opinion. Good luck.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I located the site of a train wreck from historic records before on a long abandoned grade. Found car couplings and other pieces of iron that ended up down in an embankment close to a river. You can generally find old records online of where and when a wreck occurred.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread