Possible Civil war bullet. Dug on civil war ground, has obviously been shot. Help

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My parents and I went to a local spot today where a very well known civil war massacre took place. We got on land that was definitely traveled by the troops, or near by anyway. My mom found this bullet, she took the pics too, sorry for quality. I am going to measure this thing with my micrometer and continue researching as well. I just figured somebody here could tell right off if this is civil war era or not. The item has one pronounced ring and a flat base. There is obvious marks on the bullet from rifling indicating to me it was fired. It is also mishapen on the tip as if it hit an object etc. There are no markings that I can see but there is an impression on the bottom of the bullet (what would have been in the casing) but its totally unrecognizable, if it is anything other than damage.The bullet looks very similiar to a civil war era colt .44 bullet I found while researching... one of the only ones I saw with 1 big ring and a flat base. Any info is appreciated, our goal was a civil war relic and I believe we have one! Thanks so much!
Jim Brown
Bonez Customs and Collectables

Attachments

• received_447769109312388.jpeg
    received_447769109312388.jpeg
    5.3 KB · Views: 77
  • received_333668517521296.jpeg
    received_333668517521296.jpeg
    5.4 KB · Views: 64
  • received_1655346667942832.jpeg
    received_1655346667942832.jpeg
    5 KB · Views: 64
  • received_1160937170756383.jpeg
    received_1160937170756383.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 58
  • received_460941034657814.jpeg
    received_460941034657814.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 53

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Speaking as a digger, collector, and dealer of excavated civil war bullets for over 40 years... I'm genuinely sorry to have to tell you, the Facts stick a pin in the balloon of your hopes about that bullet. It is definitely a 20th century "wadcutter" (or semi-wadcutter) bullet. Wadcutter bullets are specifically made for target practice shooting... they have a wide flat head for punching an easily visible neat round hole in the target.

That being said... you reported you found that bullet on a "civil war massacre site." If you are 100% sure you are indeed hunting on the site of the battle, keep on hunting, and you will eventually find your first civil war bullet... and other civil war Military relics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, no worries! I'm looking to be informed and when we get our civil war relic, I will want it verified. I am NO expert, lol! Just excited! I'm not literally on an actual massacre site (very near), the massacre part was a hint referring to the "Shelton laurel massacre"... don't wanna give up my exact spot lol. There were troop movements in all directions in this area of Madison county NC, as well as the well known massacre that took place near our detecting spot. I don't doubt you are correct, but I've seen/fired and dug lots of wadcutters and this really didn't look like one to me? I'm working on getting a better pic set. My mom found it and she is in possession of it, I have to get to her house before I can snap a better pic or take a measurement. I am going to trust this is a dang big modern wadcutter, but it just really doesn't look like any I've found(though some bullets are highly or strangely deformed). This bullet is deformed, but I believe it has maintained most of its round shape. Maybe that's not coming through in pics? A few chunks around the tip of the round were gone as well, kind of a "pitting" effect. As I said, I won't doubt you at all. Sounds more like my usual finds lol! I would like to get a better set of pics and some measurements etc before it gets tossed though. Maybe I can find a few different wadcutters I've found out and about as well to compare. The info and reply is MUCH appreciated! Like I said, I'm NO expert in this area lol. I will relay this info to the finder as well. I am planning to head back to the area next weekend, not only is it beautiful but the civil war connection drives me crazy lol. Thanks again and happy hunting!
Jim Brown
Bonez Customs and Collectables

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread