apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few weeks back I posted a query about a possible dime error. According to one response, it sounded like a die clash error where the reverse image transfers to the obverse but it is backwards. Keep in mind that I gave only verbal information without pics.

I now have some pics--best I could do.

Comments?

Thank you,
apush :read2:

Attachments

• DIME1.jpg
    DIME1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 376
  • DIme2.jpg
    DIme2.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 385
  • dimeback.jpg
    dimeback.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 379
  • DIME1.jpg
    DIME1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 375
  • DIme2.jpg
    DIme2.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 381
  • dimeback.jpg
    dimeback.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 379
  • DIme2.jpg
    DIme2.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 372
  • DIME1.jpg
    DIME1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 378
  • dimeback.jpg
    dimeback.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 377
  • DIME1.jpg
    DIME1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 379
  • DIme2.jpg
    DIme2.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 374
  • dimeback.jpg
    dimeback.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 382
Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell with these pictures. I would say this is post mint from what I can tell. Usually done with a vice with two coins.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, just my luck! It figures! LOL :laughing9:

But, would it not bleed thru on the reverse as well with the pressure? It has a faded area on the reverse opposite of the impression on the obverse. But, then, that tells you what a novice I am!

Silverminer

May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
apush

Have you considered taking it to a coin shop for another opinion?

You might find a good deal on a proof set for Mr. apush's birthday.

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA
Mrs. apush, it is what I believe to be a VERY strong die clash. It's where the two dies hit each other without a planchet between them which causes some detail to transfer from one die to the other. Yours looks like it can bring quite a premium because some of the back is actually readable on the obverse. Get it checked out by a local dealer, it might make your day! :hello2:

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
thats a keeper in my book! it doesnt look like post mint damage to me...pretty sure its minting damage. good luck, and 2b sure i would get it checked by a dealer.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apush, here is something that is helpful in seeing if this is a die clash. Like I said before it looks post mint and I say this because from your picture, the overlay doesnt seem to line up. The clash is from the dies hitting each other without a planchet which transfers the image of one die to the other. It should line up exactly how the overlay looks. If not, its not a die clash and has been done post-mint. Take a look for yourself and see.

Attachments

• Rosey_clash_overlay[1].jpg
    Rosey_clash_overlay[1].jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 257

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking at it again I say vice job. i believe (guys,tell me if I'm wrong) the clash would be readable if showing on the coin. the lettering is backwards, show it was put in post mint. The clash should also be raised, which it appears not to be. Sorry.
HH
gilbert

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA
enamel7 said:
i believe (guys,tell me if I'm wrong) the clash would be readable if showing on the coin.

Die clashes can be very small. I have a seated liberty half that has a die clash on the reverse under the right wing. It's a tiny die clash and nothing is discernible from it. I can't tell what is on the back that came through from the front. You are right that it should be the exact same thing showing on the front as it is on the back. I'm not sure if it would be inverted or not :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chances are it is a "fudge" but I will take it to a local coin shoppe in town just to see what they say. Never can hurt to take a looksie.

Let you know the outcome.

Thank you all for your time and efforts. I do appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread