Upvote 0

CopperHoarder

Dec 23, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Don't use one yet.
Primary Interest:
Other
Usually people keep them if they're set to get lots of boxes. I would sell them since I don't have enough to even get 1 box of halves just to get more rolls. 1 90% would get you 1 roll right away.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep all my finds. The only time I sell anything is if it has a higher numismatic value. Like the 1914 D barber dime in EF condition I got from a teller at a bank, I will be taking that down tomorrow if the silver price stays low ( or later if it drops because of the cliff ) and sell that and buy extra silver in the form of junk silver. I can turn a single 0.0723 oz coin into 0.3615 oz if they give me half its collectors value. I do that quite often. I search other coins, like nickels for war nickels, I sell the collectable ones to again buy more junk silver with. I only care about the silver weight not the collectors value.

Selling silver to fund my bankroll to buy more coin to search, I would never do that, you are always taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Cut something unneeded out of your life. Smoking Cigs, Energy Drinks, there is something you can cut to get money in the funds. If you are living that close to the edge, aka paycheck to paycheck, you should be cutting out all the unneeded things in your life as it is.

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the current spot price of silver I wouldn't sell anything. I actually just placed an order on Provident Metals for 200 oz in silver rounds - 100 buffalo design, 100 incuse Indian design.

As per halves, I have approx $90 FV in silver halves (both 90% and 40%s) which last I check was valued at about $970 at spot price. These won't be sold until silver spot hits alteast $35 an ounce which meens a silver 40% is worth a bit over 5.00 and a 90% is worth 12.50 each.

If you need to sell to expand your ability to buy halves then I say do it...its all profit in the halves business.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
You should take all halves and interesting stuff. They will then know that you like all the weird stuff. It doesn't take long to dump 1 extra clad half or even a roll of golden dollars. Also, 5/3 bank has bad customer service apparently (credits to Em).

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should take all halves and interesting stuff. They will then know that you like all the weird stuff. It doesn't take long to dump 1 extra clad half or even a roll of golden dollars. Also, 5/3 bank has bad customer service apparently (credits to Em).

Like Sag said, always take what they have even if it's one clad half. When tellers know you will take everything and return nothing, they will grow to like you. They don't like counting those bulky halves and large dollar coins every day.
HH
enamel7

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I asked my local 5/3 today if they had any halves and the teller just had one...a 1974. I didn't get it...I just was wondering how many they had on hand.

Always take the halves, even if you know they're not silver. Not taking them lets the tellers know what you aren't looking for, which is a step closer to them knowing what you're looking for, which is a step closer to them knowing what they should keep for themselves and not give you.

Sell or not sell, depends on your need. Personally, I keep all my silver, and don't plan on selling until either silver gets high enough, or I'm ready to retire.

jonesy

Sep 26, 2004
central Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes they do smell funny but,,, back in the (olden days) they used to put a silver dollar in the bottom of their old wooden water barrels to keep down the bacteria jonesy

OP
OP
frogginfish

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys have been more than helpful with the info! Thanks!
It makes perfect sense (cents...lol) to take all that they have. Usually the 5/3 that I bank with are pretty easy to deal with...never had any problems...but I have never started buying coins like that either so I guess I will just have to find out.

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah sell all 40% that smell or are dirty

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you guys keep the silver or sell it or a little of both depending on which coin(s) you run into?

I asked my local 5/3 today if they had any halves and the teller just had one...a 1974. I didn't get it...I just was wondering how many they had on hand.

your question is not what is dumb, its the bank. 5/3 bank can't count if their life depended on it, and they even let potential customers know this by having an error in their name. 5/3 should be called 1 2/3 if'n they label their maths right, and why would you want to deal with a bank that can't count? Stupid name 5/3

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
your question is not what is dumb, its the bank. 5/3 bank can't count if their life depended on it, and they even let potential customers know this by having an error in their name. 5/3 should be called 1 2/3 if'n they label their maths right, and why would you want to deal with a bank that can't count? Stupid name 5/3

dawg fith third is wack they tried banning/discriminated against me!

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on what your view of the future of PMs are, the future of the numismatic market, and your personal storage needs.

If you think that silver's price should be $7-8 an ounce, then chances are you'd want to sell. If you think that silver's price should be $45-50 an ounce, then chances are you'd want to hold on to what you have, and then buy.

In general, if you trade 40%ers for 90% or .999 silver, you will lose some silver in the process, but if you've only got a small SDB or vault, it might be worth it for you.

It also comes down to personal preference if you deal with numismatic (coin collector) value or not. Myself I try to buy some cheaper numismatic silver when I can, even if I get slightly less silver. For example, I'd rather have walking liberty or Barber halves, even in lower grade than a generic '64 Kennedy. Some people have the opposite opinion, wanting the higher silver content of the pristine Kennedy over the lower silver content of the worn older coins.

When it comes to buying bullion people have different opinions. Some people prefer to get generic .999 rounds and bars. Others prefer to buy Silver Eagles. Still others prefer to get bullion coins with collector value such as buying Britannias or silver Pandas.

Since none of us have a crystal ball and can tell you what the silver price will be tomorrow or 5 years from now, nor can we tell you what the numismatic market will be like in 5 years. Will Morgan dollars become red-hot? Will British coins plummet in value? Will Roosevelt dimes start being collectable?

The best advice is to follow what YOU think the market is going to do and make decisions based on that rather than worrying about what others think the market is going to do.

OP
OP
frogginfish

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what your view of the future of PMs are, the future of the numismatic market, and your personal storage needs.

If you think that silver's price should be $7-8 an ounce, then chances are you'd want to sell. If you think that silver's price should be $45-50 an ounce, then chances are you'd want to hold on to what you have, and then buy.

In general, if you trade 40%ers for 90% or .999 silver, you will lose some silver in the process, but if you've only got a small SDB or vault, it might be worth it for you.

It also comes down to personal preference if you deal with numismatic (coin collector) value or not. Myself I try to buy some cheaper numismatic silver when I can, even if I get slightly less silver. For example, I'd rather have walking liberty or Barber halves, even in lower grade than a generic '64 Kennedy. Some people have the opposite opinion, wanting the higher silver content of the pristine Kennedy over the lower silver content of the worn older coins.

When it comes to buying bullion people have different opinions. Some people prefer to get generic .999 rounds and bars. Others prefer to buy Silver Eagles. Still others prefer to get bullion coins with collector value such as buying Britannias or silver Pandas.

Since none of us have a crystal ball and can tell you what the silver price will be tomorrow or 5 years from now, nor can we tell you what the numismatic market will be like in 5 years. Will Morgan dollars become red-hot? Will British coins plummet in value? Will Roosevelt dimes start being collectable?

The best advice is to follow what YOU think the market is going to do and make decisions based on that rather than worrying about what others think the market is going to do.

Thanks! You have been very helpful!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread