Possible find but I need some help (Interesting update!)

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was digging the trails at a park last night and I got a strong signal at 5 inches. I started digging, and digging, and digging. Finally at 9-10 inches, I found a piece of iron. It was long and and skinny....it looked like a pipe. Okay, I know, it was probably a pipe. But, considering where I was hunting and the fact that I had found some CW relics close to this location, it seemed like an odd place for a pipe. Could this be something else? Have any of you found something you thought was a pipe and it turned out to be something else? Should I go back tonight and dig it?

Upvote 0

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: Possible find but I need some help

If it's a pipe it's either water, gas or electrical conduit. How far from any building or fixtures is it. Whats the diameter and are you sure it's iron? Be careful digging

kenb

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It was a VDI of approx. 83 I believe. The "pipe" was very rusted so I can only assume that it was iron. It was maybe 20 yards from a house, but up a hill toward the park, directly under the walking trail. I keep thinking it's not a pipe because I couldnt get a consistent, long signal when I pinpointed it. I have found pipes before I could trace it several feet with the pinpointer. The circumference was that of a nickel probably.

S

stefen

Maybe a buried gun barrel?

Then again, it may be just a short length of pipe.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This you have to dig up carefully. Sure it's probably just a pipe, but it will haunt you till you know for sure. Besides, what else ya gonna do, paint the cupboards for the lil woman?

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok so last night I went to the same park and went to the completely opposite side of the property to another trail. I got a similar hit on this trail as well so I started digging. I dug in hard ground for an hour until it got dark. I went back tonight and continued. Finally at about 14 inches, day dirt. I long piece of very corroded, but sturdy iron. Being an optimist, I dug around hoping to find the end of whatever it was, but alas, after another 2 hours of digging, I just didnt have to proper tools to make much progress. I can only assume this is a pipe, however, this had a diameter of about 2 inches. It was so frustrating to have to fill in that hole.

I would go back with a pick axe and digging bar to conclude this debauchel, however, it is in a park and I am sure they don't want a 2ft by 2 ft gorge on one of their walking trails.

I have convinced myself these are pipes so please, no one ruin my night by telling me they dug something similar and it turned out to be a Colonial era iron wacking stick or a gun barrel. ;D

R

rvbvetter

It probably is just old pipes. But then again there was that one guy that thought it was a pipe and it turned out to be a .....uh....I better not. You probably wouldn't want to hear about it now being in the Smithonian.
Just forget everything I just said. I'm sure it's just a pipe. Don't you think?
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread