Possible Fix for EMI

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've always said I know just enough about EMC to be dangerous. Spent half a day on Thursday in a 3M chamber fixing a client's problem. That's enough for me for a while. Maybe I'l try throwing a ferrite bead on my Teknetics 8500 to see if I can quite it down some.
Thanks, Dan

Dan, I spent half my career working in EMC test and instrumentation,
and my father spent his entire career in the field. Which facility were you at in NY?

Sometimes solving an EMI issue is like trying to catch a ghost in a hall of mirrors,
...and just when ya think you've got the problem solved... GAAAHsmiley.gif

Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett GTA-1000, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dan, I spent half my career working in EMC test and instrumentation,
and my father spent his entire career in the field. Which facility were you at in NY?
I'm in Rochester. It was a customers in-house chamber, which was previously run by Chomerics. My career has been in product safety but our emc guy retired last year so I've had to cross over to the dark side to help out.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in Rochester. It was a customers in-house chamber, which
was previously run by Chomerics. My career has been in product safety but our emc guy
retired last year so I've had to cross over to the dark side to help out.

Seen that happen many times over the years...the EMC guy retires, and
the company decides to burden another engineer with understanding
the black magic of EMC.

At least you can spell it, so you're way ahead of curve..8-)

We were rep's for most of the major test equipment providers, and
as a result I got to work with every test facility here in the NW. You
might be familiar with some of the manufacturers we rep'd: ETS/Lindgren,
Rhode & Schwarz, Haefely, AR Amps, etc.

There's been many times I've wanted to take a detector out to
one of the labs and see if they could help reduce the susceptibility
of it to random EMI. If someone could come up with a righteous
EMI suppression kit for metal detectors I think they'd have a
winner of a product.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen anything worse than a malfunctioning street lamp. It kept trying to light. The whole area was undetectable, maybe a hundred foot radius. Whatever that is, high voltage discharge.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has to be a way to fix/reduce emi issues in place, i agree though that getting away from the source of issue is easiest. But what are you missing around power lines, etc..?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has to be a way to fix/reduce emi issues in place, i agree though that getting away from the source of issue is easiest. But what are you missing around power lines, etc..?

If you think about it, a metal detector is actually a sophisticated EMI detector. It is trying to detect micro changes in electric and magnetic fields and therefore is very sensitive to EMI by its very nature (at least at the coil end). EMI getting in through the coil is supposedly addressed through the noise cancel process, but it is not fool proof and you cannot go overboard there with filtering or suppression or you will basically render the detector useless. So, yes, the best EMI solutions knock down the noise at the source (or by the detectorist picking a site without EMI - not necessarily an option in all cases), second is good coil and control box shielding and a good EMI reduction filter, then you can attack EMI getting in through conductors that inadvertently act like antennas like the coil cable. Fortunately, besides NOISE CANCEL and lower gain/sensitivity, the Equinox allows you to select individual discrete operating frequencies which can help with EMI but you lose the benefits of MultiIQ, but if it enables you to swing the coil, be confident in the fact that you have a pretty good single frequency detector too, with choices. As last ditch effort you can notch out large swaths of the TID range silencing noise that is showing up in specific ID ranges. Of course you will not be able to detect targets in that range, but just another last ditch method to allow you to swing the coil in a bad EMI situation, like an invisible electric dog fence.

Last edited:

Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett GTA-1000, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I'll be taking home a few of these this weekend and if things get a little noisy, I'll snap one on to see what it does.

ferrites.jpg

Dan

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EMI? I must be doing something wrong. The only place I ever had a problem with the Deus was in a city park next to a transformer almost as big as a Volkswagon. Other than that, no issues.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, no issues with mine either - the Deus or the Equinox.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we could see the EMI in the air (or contaminants in our food) we'd all probably freak out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread