Possible flint lock pistol barrel today.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today was told it be a slim chance it is a possible flint tock pistol barrel. I posted it under Today's. Finds also. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 5

plugcutter84

Oct 6, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Fisher 1265x
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! I'm no expert but the octagonal shape makes it a very good possibility. Also, the way it's split almost looks like it could have blown up when it was fired. What kind of area did you find it in? Field, woods, backyard...?

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrap..? Or a gun barrel ?

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally do not chime in unless I am sure of something. However since there are not a lot of posts here I figured I would weigh in. I do see the threads in the 2nd pic. the 'barrel' looks octagonal in nature and real thick. I personally think it may have originally been an octagonal rifle barrel like from an early 'Kentucky' rifle that may have been cut down and was attempted to be made into a pistol. Then it blew when fired. I dug a complete octagonal barrel out of a gold camp where they were using it as a breaker bar. it too is massively thick walled like yours is. Mine still had bird shot in it that was encased in packed mud. People of long ago tried to repurpose all sorts of stuff and I have seen bizarre conversions of old weapons.

I am not 100% of your ID. But lean towards gun related. I personally have never seen such a thick walled barrel on a pistol which is why I am suggesting the possibility it may have come from a rifle. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it could have been a blown barrel. Here is a hexagonal brass barrel that I found. The shape of yours makes me believe it's a gun barrel but I'm no expert. Cool find bud

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it in the woods along with a few other items. image.jpg When I found it I was thinking some type of chisel that split from use. Then I got it home and noticed a shaft or bore. Some of the fellows on the What is it forum made some very good points on it being a gun barrel. If it did exploed I would think there might be more parts laying about. Yes one end is threaded about half inch in, then is a smoth shaft. The threads are were a breach plug should of been screwed in. Also notice a hole where it shattered by the threads. Was told hole is possible flint lock vent or where a drum might of been screwed in making it a drum and nipple cap lock pistol. I know pics have poor lighting. image.jpg

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You started a new thread?

Yeah I normally post anything interesting I find in todays finds. This item I was unsure of so I posted it in What is it first hoping to get some conformation. I didn't want to post a concrete bolt anchor in todays finds thinking it was a old gun barrel. lol! Kinda figured people might be telling me to post it under What is it anyway. Sorry for confusion.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally do not chime in unless I am sure of something. However since there are not a lot of posts here I figured I would weigh in. I do see the threads in the 2nd pic. the 'barrel' looks octagonal in nature and real thick. I personally think it may have originally been an octagonal rifle barrel like from an early 'Kentucky' rifle that may have been cut down and was attempted to be made into a pistol. Then it blew when fired. I dug a complete octagonal barrel out of a gold camp where they were using it as a breaker bar. it too is massively thick walled like yours is. Mine still had bird shot in it that was encased in packed mud. People of long ago tried to repurpose all sorts of stuff and I have seen bizarre conversions of old weapons.

I am not 100% of your ID. But lean towards gun related. I personally have never seen such a thick walled barrel on a pistol which is why I am suggesting the possibility it may have come from a rifle. Just my humble opinion.

Thanks for the input. You know that was one thing that stood out , the opposite end of the "breach" does look cut or not a nice even surface like opposite side. Like the type of cut one would get if you took a hack saw quickly to a metal pipe. Your thoughts on it being a cut rifle stand to reason. I need to go back and find more parts!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what its worth this was confirmed as being a actual gun barrel in the What is it? forum.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find. Certainly looks like an exploded gun barrel. I have a brass one that I found that was hexagonal. I consider an old significant gun piece one of those lifetime goals list finds.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419781724.393844.jpg
This is the one I found. I can picture it exploded and looking similar to yours. Very cool find IMO. You've had a hell of a year bud

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find. Certainly looks like an exploded gun barrel. I have a brass one that I found that was hexagonal. I consider an old significant gun piece one of those lifetime goals list finds.
View attachment 1097969
This is the one I found. I can picture it exploded and looking similar to yours. Very cool find IMO. You've had a hell of a year bud

Wow that is a nice one! Yours even has the lugs or attachment points were the barrel was pined or attached to the wood stock. Mine has the grove for lug but lug is missing. The lug grove or notch was pretty much last clue on figuring I had a gun barrel. Thanks everyone, It would of been one of those items just setting in the mystery box. Thanks Ahab,, what would really close out the year would be to head back to the site were I found the barrel and locate more parts or remains of complete gun. Wish full thinking I suppose.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is a nice one! Yours even has the lugs or attachment points were the barrel was pined or attached to the wood stock. Mine has the grove for lug but lug is missing. The lug grove or notch was pretty much last clue on figuring I had a gun barrel. Thanks everyone, It would of been one of those items just setting in the mystery box. Thanks Ahab,, what would really close out the year would be to head back to the site were I found the barrel and locate more parts or remains of complete gun. Wish full thinking I suppose.

Wishful thinking is where it all begins usually. Without that we'd never leave the house to go detect. And once in a great while that delusional fantasy actually comes true. Hope you find more buddy

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wishful thinking is where it all begins usually. Without that we'd never leave the house to go detect. And once in a great while that delusional fantasy actually comes true. Hope you find more buddy

Well put! By the way went back to barrel site today and found lots of iron in the immediate area were I dug the barrel, nothing in the way of gun parts. I will still post all finds in "What is it" forum just in case.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well put! By the way went back to barrel site today and found lots of iron in the immediate area were I dug the barrel, nothing in the way of gun parts. I will still post all finds in "What is it" forum just in case.

Speaking of fantasies....the day I found that pistol barrel I found my first Spanish silver, a 1782 2 Reales and my first seated dime(1877). That was my first really big day and after that I was really hooked. You've had several pretty amazing days this year. You obvious have the research thing down

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
It definitely has the charactaristics of gun. I would agree though, that it is part of a rifle and not a pistol due to the thickness. But so far, until proven otherwise, i'd agree with flintlock musket. Congrats!

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one that I found in Albany Georgia that I think maybe similar to yours. Mine has threading as well and is 6" in length.

Attachments

• IMG_20141228_200131.jpg
    IMG_20141228_200131.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 80

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rifle or pistol I would say, but definitely not a musket. A musket would be a much larger bore!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the theory that it was cut off a rifle which had its breach explode. The opposite end of the threaded side is a bit on a angle, like it was cut. Would make sense if it appears more like a rifle barrel. Pistol story is cooler though. Yeah Ahbe this has been one of my best years in 10 years of detecting don't let me kid you. Also you are right research seems to be one of my stronger points. Knowing your machines and being able to relate the functions with the ground conditions you are hunting helps too!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread