possible last day at virgin field

rogues71

May 9, 2009
mesa az
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
ok i corded off the 3rd 1/4 of the soccer field this morning and was getting signals right away. i was there probably a total of 20 minutes and found 1 unreadable date standing quarter,3 silver washingtons 1942,1955,1957, a silver rosie 1950, and a merc 1944. i just started to fil in the merc hole and the local police show up. i try my best to ignore his presence because if you dont see them there really not there "lol". the officer comes walking over and starts with the normal questions what you doing etc, i try to explain that im just coin hunting and hestarts in with this long speech about how they have recieved calls about people tearing up the soccer field . i kept my calm and told him that i have been here for 3 days and i didnt see anyone tearing up the field. he responded well i think they ment you! i asked the officer does it look like im tearing up the field?, and stated if you can identify one of my holes i will gladly leave with no fuss. now i should state this isnt my first bull ride and i may not be digging up the lost treasures of atlantis but im very proud of my plugs and the cammo job i do on them "i guess ranger school does have its uses in civilian life". well needless to say the officer told me he couldnt see anything wrong but he would have to take my info and report back to the desk sgt. and park services. so i am awaiting the call for a thumbs up or down. im sure glad my taxes are paying for this :) good luck hunting ill keep ya posted

Attachments

• maybe last day.jpg
    maybe last day.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 790
Upvote 0

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Wow!!

That sucks !! You find a good place,and someone cant stand to see you there. Wonder what makes people so mean? I hope you get the go ahead on detecting it. You have pulling some great coins there.

Twig.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
I hope you get the :icon_thumright:, it looks like a awesome place to hunt. Good luck !!

TommNJ

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Hey there Rogues71 sorry to hear of your run in with the "Man", and if I may I would suggest that rather than waiting for the green light so to speak to go back you should do some research to see if there are any laws on detecting where you are, any laws that expressly forbid it, if not then you are dealing with more of a policy kind of thing, more along the lines of some "we don't like that so you can't do it" kind of thing, and frankly if you are on public property there should be no reason for you not to be able to MD. Maybe find out who is in charge of this and show them your digging technique, be proactive on this rather then wait for some bureaucrat to make the decision on there own, also have you seen any evidence of careless digging at all? remember that policies are made to be broken, and also are very often made by people who have no real idea what they are talking about!

Chuck.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a good dig spot nice silver :thumbsup: untouched try to keep it i bet theirs some really good old surprises in that field !! i had a similar run in with a grounds keeper of the school a real old grouch he just aerated the entire field 2 inches deep plugs everywhere i couldnt tell the difference between goose poop and the plugs :dontknow: so i told him iam helping you aerate he just tossed his hands up and walked away ;D Good luck HH Jim

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice silver,

That is to bad. I've heard this story more than once in my life. I am sure that is why silver is still there. They probably been throwing guys outta there for yrs. I got a similar story to long to go into. But on a quick note last yr. I came across a great foundation site. I was finding large coppers early silver right.

After about 6 trips to the site. Me my 2 younge sons and brother were hunting this site. All the sudden I turn around and the cops got guns draw on our heads. This is a true story and makes me think twice now about police officers. In the end they let us go but I almost thought I was going to be shot that day just for detecting.

Needless to say i wasn't back to that site again. You just never know out there. I've detected in the worst hoods and never had a problem. It's our own police officers you gotta worry about.

Update: I've been asked to go into further depth about the whole cop story. It is somewhat ugly but I'll tell it as it happened. Last winter I was researching like usual. I came across a old homestead on a map. Looked at a aerial shot and it was all woods. Upon further investigation there was a old dirt rd now blocked off to the site.

Parked at the rd and was going in by foot. None of the woods was posted either. To think I even had my 2 yr old son back here in these woods on one occasion. Just arrived at the site like usual and within 10 minutes I dug up a large cent. My brother had a flat button. It was looking like another great day. All the sudden I hear my brother yelling for me to come out of the woods.

He was in a more open area outside of the brush. As soon as I came out of the woods all I heard was put your mother fu***ng hands in the air with a 9 right at my head. No lie I was a little nervous at the time. I hold my unit and shovel up as high as I can fealing that if I sneeze these a** holes are gonna shoot me.

They had my 2 boys with them 8 and 6 at the time. My boy had his garrett 250 in his hands. They came padded me all down asked if we had any weapons. I said no. They asked what we were doing and I told them a old cabin once stood back here and we were looking for relics. They ran all of our info.

Then proceeded to tell us they had problems back in this area with burned down houses and stolen cars and such. They let us go and almost towed my car to. They said I could come back all I want if I track down the owners of the land. I said you'll never see me back here again. Scared the hell out of my boys.

There was no need to draw guns like that. We didn't even have a pocket knife on us. I was gonna report them for useing over excessive force. My neighbor is a detective and told me they cannot do that. I listened to them and just left because I didn't want fined or anything. But I'll tell ya I am alot more aware now about what I do.

It's the cops out there you gotta worry about. Not the crack heads and wanna be gangsters. I could care less about them. Never ben back to that site again. It's a shame because it was giving up rare coins and relics. Hope some of you all can learn from my experiences. Always get permission I would say. Even if your out in the middle of nowhere.

Still didn't need to draw guns on me like that when I was with my 2 younge sons. These a** holes new we weren't doing anything. They saw my kid detecting. Maybe they thought they actually had someone that day. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

HH Jer

itsmymind

Nov 25, 2009
SE Ks.
Detector(s) used
MXT
Since he didn't see anything wrong with your plugs you should have asked to hunt his front yard. Maybe you could have made an Ali in your fight against the system. Oh what am I saying? I would have been mad like a pitbull watching his girlfriend with a poodle.

S

seger98

Congratulations on the silvers, hope you get to go back. Like the guy above said, I wouldn't wait for them to get back to you, I'd go to them.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Great finds
Sorry to hear about you getting run off (at least temporarily). Hopefully you had a good demeanor and were polite enough, perhaps the LEO will tell the park service people and desk Sgt. that things weren't torn up. Hopefully there isn't a retroactive ticket (some places up here fine $75). It is very likely that they would not have cared except that people called. Especially if they had called 2 or 3 days in a row and the officer just came. I have been run off of places here and it always seems like it was not due to LEO's seeing me and caring, but people calling and then the LEO has to respond. They usually don't care if they are there doing other business and see you. I know because the 2 times I've been run off, it was preceded by days of being within the sight of cops and they didn't care, but the days I was run off, someone was watching me holding a cell phone, then LEO appears.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is too bad, but it is the "world" we live in today. It is not like it used to be, and it never will be again.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed that anywhere there is an athletic field, those who use it most seem to think they own it. Sometimes they have to be reminded that your quarter also helped pay for it. I don't see the discussion with the cop as a run in, rather just a guy doing his job. If he is told to check something out, that's his job. He doesn't get to pick and choose which complaints he goes to or doesn't go to. Looks to me like he had no animosity. If there was a problem he would have asked you to leave. Monty

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Wow, I see a lot of these posts that people submit in regards to getting the boot from properties. Most of them are parks for some reason or another. JerV3, sounds like you have some rogue dudes wherever you live. Yep, that was way out of line with the pointing of the handguns and such, especially with your kids there. I can't help but think how your kids will look at law enforcement in the future. I hope they are not too shocked to not have faith and respect for Police in the future. I have been kicked off of property before as well, not by the police but by the owner who saw the stuff I was recovering and I think they decided to hunt it themselves.
As I have said before, look up the laws, speak to the park police, speak to the local police and get that permission. Get their business cards and show them to whomever comes and asks what you are doing. I am glad that I am in a position that I will never get "harassed" by the Police. I do have strong feelings about how we, as metal detectorists, should act when confronted by law enforcement. But you should never be subserviant to them(us). We do have to enforce the laws, where they apply. We do have to go to all the dispatches that we are given. But most of all we have to be human beings, just like the detectorists that we are talking to. If you come to hunt with me, I can assure you that you will not be kicked out! ;D jgas

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Monty. I know, it looked bad with your kid there. But, the real bad guys sometimes use their kids to make a bad thing look legit.
I'll add my story, if that is okay. Happened in Korea, 1980s, my son, myself, and a friend. We hunt coin sites on old trails, close to where the trail goes over the saddle.
Were hunting a site, about 300 meters from a Nike-Herc missle site. But, on a trail that was in use. My son heard something down the trail, but we paid no nevermind. Finished the site, and packed up. About 50 meters down the trail, suddenly their was a scream, and a very scared Korean Private shoved a bayonet up under my chin.....and he was locked and loaded. We were in the middle of a ROK Army ambush. And we were the target. Seems that they had heard us laughing and clowning around, and didn't know why we were digging so close to their missle site. (I found out I can surrendor very quickly.) Well, their Lieutenant comes into the group, he speaks English, and I explain what we are doing. Then, pull the machine out, show them how it works, and share a pepsi with the soldiers......and had a laugh with them. Then, the LT ordered his guys back up to their site, and asked me for a ride.....which I more than gladly gave him. People doing their job. But, I agree with the followup, too. See if there is a city ordnance against digging where you were digging. Still, feel for you. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread