collins6542

Feb 12, 2017
Des Moines, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett AT Gold, SunRay X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok guys and gals,

So I have been doing a lot of heavy research in meteorite impacts in Iowa, I have stumbled across another site. I was doing an areal photo view of the site and found this..... it looks like this circular indentation goes all the way back to the 40s, from then back it is covered up by trees so its unknown on if it is there or not. I believe this is potentially an impact site... what do yall think?
amana.png

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
The site seem to mirror the bend in the river. Maybe historic flooding. If it was from water movement there could be artifacts left behind.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's called a meander. Meanders are common on slow moving rivers and streams in flat lands. When a meander changes course the part that is left high and dry is commonly known as an Oxbow or cutoff meander.

You can see an interactive map with all the known craters and meteorite falls on the Land Matters Meteorite Map.

Rocks A Lot

Feb 18, 2019
Peoria, IL
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm going to assume that you're referring to the bullseye shape. I tried to center it in a screenshot. If it's what you're referring too, I believe it to be vegetative in origin (fairy ring). Only ground investigation could give further information in topography.

Screenshot_20190218-162737.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions