possible maritime item found with detector

seismosaurus

Feb 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur , imagenex sidescan, ogf-w magnetometer
Ahoy treasurehunters !

Last week I found an unknown item with my detector. A craneship was cleaning up a canal in an old harbourtown in the Netherlands and in this mud I found this old item what looks 100% maritime to me.

It is a damaged brass bowl, which I first thought it was a lid. But with cleaning I found glass and a lead piece with a very sharp brass needle. The needle is screwed through the lead and was screwed onto the bowl where is a hole in the bottom centre.
I think the needle was original standing straight up.

dimensions for lead is 10.5 cm / approx. 4 inch , needle 7 cm / approx. 2.75 inch.

what could it be ??

Attachments

• L1110816-kl.JPG
    L1110816-kl.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 141
  • L1110815-kl.JPG
    L1110815-kl.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 142

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say the remnants of a ships compass. Though I may be overstating the obvious. What do you think? Whatever it is it's pretty amazing to find so much of it after being scrapped off the bottom by a crane!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It appears that you hit the coordinates on the compass head per say HWJ Jr! I agree 100% that it is an old Ship's Compass. Now the O.P. just needs to date it and identify what ship it may have came off of to see if there is a possibility of a significant find or treasure.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread