Possible meteorite fragments - some help, please?

Stripeythecrab

Apr 4, 2013
WI, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted this in the "Today's Finds" forum earlier today and was directed here. (I didn't even know about this part of the forum!) Hopefully some of you can help me out.

Last week in a post I mentioned that I had found some magnetic rocks in a riverbed. After closer inspection, I noticed how odd a few of them look. These four are all very rounded and pitted, there are holes much like in pumice. But since I'm in Minnesota, they can't be a product of volcanic activity. My next thought was that they were simply rocks conglomerated together with rust, but that's not the case, either.

Then their attraction to a magnet gave the idea that they might be meteorite fragments. I know nothing about them, unfortunately, but I am hoping someone in the community here does. Do these look like meteorite fragments to any of you?

Also, my scale is not working right now, but I used a balance and some pennies and have figured they weigh roughly 5-7 grams each. Thank you!

2014-03-21 16.08.14.jpg 2014-03-21 16.07.59.jpg

2014-03-21 16.07.34.jpg 2014-03-21 16.05.39.jpg

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've collected for 30 years. Not the expert, but you can be certain those are definitely not meteorites. Actually look like they might be slag...

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they do look like slag to me also, I would md further at that spot and explore the possibility of an old forge or blacksmith shop..............they're not to rusty looking though; maby someone else will have a nother opinion.....good hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread