Possible new way to get halves

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
In general, scrap yards and refiners know what silver is, so while it might be a great place for clad, good luck finding even a single 40%er.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found out the salvage yards always keep halves on hand. I don't know if they would sale them but I'm gonna take some scrap metal in and see if they will pay me in all halves. Just a thought for y'all.

They do? For what purpose? I've never been paid with a single half dollar at my local scrapyard.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a good question, why would they have halves? Also Generic is right I mean it is called a scrap metal yard.

OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They may very well cherry pick the silver but I get payed with halves and 2 dollar bills all the time. Like I said, just a thought.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what you are hunting for, but clad halves are the by product of my searches!

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
In general, scrap yards and refiners know what silver is, so while it might be a great place for clad, good luck finding even a single 40%er.

generic clad hit the nail with a sledge hammer; worst place to look, probably have the halves dropped in acid so they take some of the copper out of the clad. scrappers are as tight as tight gets.

CopperHoarder

Dec 23, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Don't use one yet.
Primary Interest:
Other
My scrap yard is about a Half mile away. PERFECT for me :). But they'll only give Checks.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does scrapping work, do you need to seperate all the metals, or what? Like I have a few 5 gallon buckets full of random metal from metal detecting, and other etc..

Ive been wanting to do something with all this crap, just didnt know what I had to do.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes my scrap yard pays in cash... But i have never got any half dollars from them...........

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
scrapping is for a rough crew

i know i dont have what it takes:

50 cent..... It is easy throw the junk in the back of your pick up or car trunk........... go to the scrap yard and collect your money ... Some times it is more easy than CRH or detecting.......

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done quite well scrapping metal over the years. I use that cash to purchase precious metals most of the time. Sometimes I'll add it to my CRH bankroll or put it into my savings account.

There are a ton of sites on the Internet to get you started on how to break down things like grills/barbecues, washing machines, etc. to separate the different metals.

Light iron is what you find the most of down at the curb. But I scrap any metal I can get my hands on: aluminum, zinc, nickel, brass, copper, etc.

I frequent two different scrapyards, the owners of both are big volume hunters of coin. They always have halves on hand to dish out.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does scrapping work, do you need to seperate all the metals, or what? Like I have a few 5 gallon buckets full of random metal from metal detecting, and other etc..

Ive been wanting to do something with all this crap, just didnt know what I had to do.

You don't necessarily need to separate out the metals or break anything down. But if you want to extract maximum value out of something, it is in your interest to break it down to separate the metals.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
If your scrap is not separated they will pay like half of what they would if it were clean. Some of them will knock the price down if they find a single rivet or screw, it all depends on what kind of metal you are scraping. I just did some aluminum last week and the prices were way down. I only got 50 for extruded and 40 for rolled, scrap steal was .05 a pound, yellow brass was 1.40, and electric motors were .20 a lb. The scrap guy closest to me is a crook and knocks down everything if there are a few pieces of painted mixed in. I wouldn't have gone down now but my local Country inspector got sick so his replacement gave me 10 days to clean up my pile of metal I have had for 8 years now in my back yard behind my shed. The only reason he even saw the pile was that he was giving a ticket to my neighbor for having his bosses truck in his yard with no plates on it. I ended up with like 150 for what would have been double that two, three years ago. I kept most of my copper and brass and just put them in my sheds. They have free trash pickup where I live so people can throw away anything. I used to ride around looking before eight to a hundred other guys started doing it too, now it's not worth the gas. I still get stuff that I keep while doing handyman work.

OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your scrap is not separated they will pay like half of what they would if it were clean. Some of them will knock the price down if they find a single rivet or screw, it all depends on what kind of metal you are scraping. I just did some aluminum last week and the prices were way down. I only got 50 for extruded and 40 for rolled, scrap steal was .05 a pound, yellow brass was 1.40, and electric motors were .20 a lb. The scrap guy closest to me is a crook and knocks down everything if there are a few pieces of painted mixed in. I wouldn't have gone down now but my local Country inspector got sick so his replacement gave me 10 days to clean up my pile of metal I have had for 8 years now in my back yard behind my shed. The only reason he even saw the pile was that he was giving a ticket to my neighbor for having his bosses truck in his yard with no plates on it. I ended up with like 150 for what would have been double that two, three years ago. I kept most of my copper and brass and just put them in my sheds. They have free trash pickup where I live so people can throw away anything. I used to ride around looking before eight to a hundred other guys started doing it too, now it's not worth the gas. I still get stuff that I keep while doing handyman work.

Yellow brass at 1.40. Man I'm sorry. I just turned in for 2.65. Your people are scammers. Since the topic has been brought up all of y'all that metal detect should save every tiny piece of stuff y'all find. I bought a new detector in a little less than a year. And actually the shorter the steal the better. They pay you more cuz they don't have to cut it. Most places give the best price for under 3 feet pieces. HH everyone and thanks for all the comments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread