Possible portable rock art in NB, Canada. Opinions appreciated.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Just wondering, rr, are you left-handed?

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like natural quartzite or limonite? Cant remember specific name. You probably have old mine markers up your neck of the woods though, they will be large "out of place" looking boulders though along the waterways and trail systems.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that's Ralph, from the Wiley Coyote cartoon! It's a natural stone, I think, but turned out nice!

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Bottom brick is pretty interesting... also when stuff is taken out of context its going to be labeled pretty naturally occurring from most anyone, including myself.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom one has possibilities. I saw a kinda similar one here. Plow had nailed it repeatedly. Yours looks better.

OP
OP
N

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom one has possibilities. I saw a kinda similar one here. Plow had nailed it repeatedly. Yours looks better.

The area around here has for the longest time has been the potato washout capital of the world. Tons upon tons of tilled topsoil still run off down the valleys every year, despite all the erosion control measures that have been put into action already.

But yeah, thanks comments. The small "brick" rock was originally what got me flipping rocks in the brook there out of further curiosity. Last haul from yesterday and then it's back to actually fishing the spot for fish:

View attachment 1602754

thanks again!

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have my attention. I'm surprised Q didn't see it. Well this is an example of what we find on this side of the Mississippi. The work of the Priest. The white brick has the word Father on it. All of those are their work. Nice find.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
None of it means anything out of context. I can pull shaped rocks out of my driveway. Yes they use natural looking boulders/ rocks, some that were modified a little beyond natural, but there are
other nearby things in the area that always tell you that you are near something good, such as alignments , out of place boulders/whacky trees/etc. You can't just pull a random rock/boulder out of the ground/stream and say , yeah it looks like "such and such" and it is a marker. It doesn't work that way and it never has.

OP
OP
N

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of it means anything out of context. I can pull shaped rocks out of my driveway. Yes they use natural looking boulders/ rocks, some that were modified a little beyond natural, but there are
other nearby things in the area that always tell you that you are near something good, such as alignments , out of place boulders/whacky trees/etc. You can't just pull a random rock/boulder out of the ground/stream and say , yeah it looks like "such and such" and it is a marker. It doesn't work that way and it never has.

To be fair, they are irrevocably out-of-context given they were probably dumped as erosion control before riparian buffer regulations were put into effect.

again, from tossing around in the same unnamed creek (according to provincial crown land maps):

View attachment 1604575

View attachment 1604574

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread