*Possible Silver RING! First find other then clad!

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro , Garrett Pro Pointer , Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out digging in the same place i have been for the past 5-6 days .... about a couple minutes i found a dime... i was like.. well thats better then finding all those pennies.... The day before, i found about 12 pennies at the site... however i was putting the dirt back in the whole from the dime and a thunderstorm hits..... starts raining fairly decent ... i said screw it, i wanna find something so bad i cant stand it.... then i hit a good signal on the ace ...bouncing from 25c to 50c ,, so i dug , pulled out the plug and my new garrett pro pointer and stuck it to the plug of dirt and BAM it goes nuts.... then i seen this object filled with dirt... i was like ,, great a pipe fitting.. i got to wiping more dirt off and my jaw dropped......

edit.... there are no markings anywhere on it

RE...EDIT Markings found 10:56 pm ---925 !!!!!!!! woo :hello2: :hello2: :headbang: :headbang: :hello2: :hello2:

Attachments

• silverforForum3.JPG
    silverforForum3.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 588
Upvote 0

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I haven't tried this myself, but I hear that if you put a silver item in a baggie with a crumbled hard-boiled egg yolk overnight that the item will turn black (tarnish). That would be silver reacting with the sulfur in the egg. Nothing else would do that. :dontknow:

OP
OP
eclipsegt3

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro , Garrett Pro Pointer , Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting with the egg idea..... what else could it be if it wasnt silver .. i found it 4-5 inchs down in untouched hard clay soil. it would take a long long time to go that far down

OP
OP
eclipsegt3

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the more i look at it , i notice the green ,, whatever it is,, is in the grooves of the ring not actually on top save for one spot where it just built up..... i dont really think its tarnish

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
eclipsegt3 said:
the more i look at it , i notice the green ,, whatever it is,, is in the grooves of the ring not actually on top save for one spot where it just built up..... i dont really think its tarnish

You'll rarely find pure silver (I never have) but maybe it is 80 or 90 percent silver (it looks old). If it was alloyed with copper you could get some green, maybe even to the point of protecting the silver from going black. Silver never used to tarnish before the age of combustibles like oil and coal.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Ring...congrats! :thumbsup:
H

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like silver to me. You can clean it up by setting it on top of tin foil in a bowl, covering it with baking soda and salt, pouring boiling water over that and then letting it cool. Then just taje it out of the water and wipe the black off with a cloth.

Congrats on the silver

OP
OP
eclipsegt3

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Change the POSSIBLE!!!!!!! i got to scrubbing on it some more a minute ago... an guess what.... i found three little bitty tiny numbers 925 :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: wooooooo MY first treasure!!

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does not look like a ring to me! If I were to take a wild guess I would say it's a very old fancy napkin holder.
HH RCW

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats on your first silver ring, yay! PLEASE post pics again after it's cleaned up. I've detected only for a few months and was thrilled when my first silver ring came up. Then about a month later at the beach, what sounded like just another beer bottle cap turned out to be a silver pendant with tiny turquoise flowers. IMO, the silver you found today will attract more silver for you! Andi

OP
OP
eclipsegt3

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
g-olden years said:
Congrats on your first silver ring, yay! PLEASE post pics again after it's cleaned up. I've detected only for a few months and was thrilled when my first silver ring came up. Then about a month later at the beach, what sounded like just another beer bottle cap turned out to be a silver pendant with tiny turquoise flowers. IMO, the silver you found today will attract more silver for you! Andi

thanks for the kind words,,, i hope it attracts more silver to me too.. i love the beauty of silver, ive saved a lot of silver coins over the years, that ive found in change.. and also bought 20x 1 troy oz rounds when they was 15$ each!!!. ten years ago..... so being this is my first real find .. and its silver... and the rarity that its a ring is awesome!! it was worth putting almost 600$ into metal detecting equipment just to find this...

OP
OP
eclipsegt3

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All shined up :thumbsup:

Attachments

• silverring5-26-11.JPG
    silverring5-26-11.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 211

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread