Possible Washington dollar error?

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
Today while dumping off lots of halves, I had some time to talk to the teller about coins. I usually try to have a little friendly conversation with them especially when dumping halves and the teller told me me of the new washington dollars (like they allways seem to do.) but I as was about to tell her that I don't really like the dollars much she holds one in front of me and I noticed that it appeared to have no lettering on the rim. I calmly asked if I could buy it and she responded with " If you give me a dollar". I walked out a little skeptical, especially since I have been finding more odd coins than usuall lately. Upon comparison with the other 2 I bought when they first came out, It truly is different. Does anyone else think it might be something of value? Is it possible to sand off the rims of coins without making tons of scratches? here are some pics.

Attachments

• washington dollar 2.jpg
    washington dollar 2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 201
  • washington dollar.jpg
    washington dollar.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 204
Upvote 0

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Here is a link to some more information about the Washington Errors from Denver. I see from your profile that you are in Carmel or San Diego. Where did you get this dollar from. The article in the link says that no edge lettering coins were found in the Los Angeles area.

http://conecaonline.org/

OP
OP
patpall22

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
Thanks 65gt for that info. I am still stumped, it looks like the ones that were found in PA with the copper strip. but there is no way that I am the only one in California to find one of these coins. I'm thinking that someone might of tampered with this coin, but it does appear to be smooth. is there any mint mark on these? I can't find one.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
The mintmark and date are on the edge. If you have a scale you can weigh the coin.

OP
OP
patpall22

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
I do have scale and it weights 8.0-8.1 (it goes to 8.1 after a second or two). It weight the same as the other two I have. what would be the best way to verify if it's a real error?

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
patpall22 said:
I do have scale and it weights 8.0-8.1 (it goes to 8.1 after a second or two). It weight the same as the other two I have. what would be the best way to verify if it's a real error?
Take it to a coin shop and ask. DO NOTsell it. If you have a magnifying glass check for scratches or major differences in color between the edge and faces.

OP
OP
patpall22

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
the.silver.standard said:
$82 with the auction ending soon...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-GEORGE-WAS...10103456292QQcategoryZ523QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think it was pcgs (maybe another) that stated that due to the number of these errors, they expect the value to settle around $50 - 60 or so once they realize how many there are.

Regardless--- NICE FIND! Give that teller a kiss next time!
thanks pather I will try a coin shop

Sliver standard I don't see any real scratches. what confusses me, is that it is two toned with a copper looking ring around the rim. this made me first think it was tampered with but after I read the info given from 65gt, it looks exactly like the ones found in PA. I only have two other coins to compair with, and the one with no lettering seems to be a little darker in color, almost like the sac dollars.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Pat.....you might have something there! By all means....hang on to it. Let us know how it turns out if you take it to a coin shop to get it checked.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
It is supposed to weigh 8.1g +/- .3g.

Your coin appears to be within weight. However, the coin you got should be a Denver coin and it should not look like the Philadelphia coin. From the other article they are reccomending that you get more coins from the roll and box so that you can prove it was minted in Denver by the die marks.

OP
OP
patpall22

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
65gt350 said:
It is supposed to weigh 8.1g +/- .3g.

Your coin appears to be within weight. However, the coin you got should be a Denver coin and it should not look like the Philadelphia coin. From the other article they are reccomending that you get more coins from the roll and box so that you can prove it was minted in Denver by the die marks.
Should I go back to the teller I got the coin from and ask to buy all she has? If so, I'll do it tomarrow. are their any of these errors found to be minted in Denver? There is definitely something different with this coin and I am leaving San Diego For Carmel tomarrow so I will find a coin shop in that area to try to get a better opinion. I am trying not to get my hopes up about this coin. I will definitely post what ever opinions I can get when I get them. thanks for all the help.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
I would. Yes, it appears as if Denver has produced some errors too. The difference between them is that the Philadelphia has a band through the rim and the Denver version doesn't. But who knows.

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the.silver.standard said:
With the way that these are not reeded on the edge, I would think that taking/ filing the edge off would throw off the weight.
He's right. And you would have to be skilled in filing to get it perfectly round. The diameter should give away if it is real or not...the lettering on the edge is deep. Go to a website that specifies the diameter of the Washington dollars and use calipers or a good ruler to compare it against yours. Another giveaway would be miscoloring around the edge because they were plated with the gold color (or were supposed to be). If it was filed then they would have removed the plating and therefore exposed the copper core of the coin.
Good luck
pather

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions