Possible Wreck Found - need objective opinions

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I was taking a look at the latest image set (post-Hurricane Katrina)that is now online for my area on Google Earth and noticed what appears to be another outline of a ship similar to the one I found back in May. This feature was not visible on any earlier Landsat or other aerial/space photography. The immediate area of this feature experienced a substantial amount of coastal erosion from the three major hurricanes that have effected us in the last two years.

The area where this mystery feature lies is absolutely ripe for a shipwreck due to its close proximity to Pensacola Pass. Please take a look at the photo below and offer your opinions.

posswreck.jpg

If you take my general outlined shape into consideration, the rough dimensions are 184' x 55'. I am probably going to be doing a quick dive on this thing whatever it may be in the coming week.

Will keep you posted,

Pcolaboy

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say, looks intriguing though. Good luck!!!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Its worth putting on a wetsuit! Check it out!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it!!! This technology wasn't around when I was diving wrecks in FL & SC.

HH,
Sandman

AOSDC

Nov 25, 2006
Looks better like this and yes it looks like a ship..

Attachments

• posswreck.jpg
    posswreck.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 325

AOSDC

Nov 25, 2006
Maybe 2 ships there. Take a closer look

Attachments

• posswreck.jpg
    posswreck.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 307
OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
MichaelB said:
Lots of current and bull sharks at that pass ;D

MichaelB
Mobile Bay

The current is of greater concern to me. Incoming tide is no problem, but with an outgoing winter tide it's unreal. Yes there are quite a few bull sharks in the pass as well as most of the lower bay - another reason to only dive on the incoming tide as close to the middle of the day as possible. We've seen quite a few sand tigers lately as well but they aren't nearly as aggressive.

UPDATE: We're trying to get clearance from the Navy to dive this general area but it's quite a daunting task. These requests are generally replied with questions like, "Why?", "Who?", if it even gets that far at all.

Pcolaboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread