Possum Butt Pie

S

stefen

Re: 'Possum Butt Pie

Come on now...its the same as Chicken Lip Soup.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Monty said:
Find 6 or seven fresh road kill 'possums......... Never mind, even I can't do this! ::) Monty

Maybe if you tried it with armadillos instead...

fldiver

Mar 12, 2006

PBK said:
Monty said:
Find 6 or seven fresh road kill 'possums......... Never mind, even I can't do this! ::) Monty

Maybe if you tried it with armadillos instead...

Armadillo ain't nothing but possum on the half shell.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

fldiver said:
Armadillo ain't nothing but possum on the half shell.

Generally 'bout half a shell is all that's left once they hit the interstate!

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There's a story behind the 'possum butt pie recipe. Could you have guessed as much? :D When I was in the service, one of my barracks mates was from Boston, apparently well off and living a sheltered life. He found out I was from Oklahoma and thought my state was on the frontier without paved streets, indoor plumbing and that Indians still massacred wagon trains! He had met my sister when she had come to visit and was kind of sweet on her, so when I went home on leave he went with me. Since he was so naive I told him our favorite food at home was 'possum butt pie. I told him dad went out and scrounged up roadkilled 'possums and brought them home. Mom would throw them away except for their tiny sphincters that she would carefully remove with a sharp knife. I told him they looked a lot like tiny donuts. Then she would bake them into a meat pie kinda' like chicken pot pie. I told him they were kind of chewy and rubbery, but absolutely deliscious! He bought it hook, line and sinker. I also told him mom got her feelings hurt if we didn't ask for seconds when she made 'possum butt pie. Mom and the whole family was in on the joke and when we got home, she was telling him that Thursday was 'possum butt pie day and he was in for a treat. Thursday rolled around and Mom went out and bought a frozen meat pie of some sort and served it telling my bud that it was 'possum butt pie. He ate a big slice and was turning green when he felt obligated to ask for seconds so as not to hurt Mom's feelings. What made it even funnier, mom had cut him a slice that was about 1/4 of the pie to start with while the rest of the family just got a small sliver. She went on about how our guests always got the biggest slice! About the time for his second helping my sister got tickled and started us all laughing out loud! At this time the we 'fessed up that it was a joke. He got kinda' pissed at first but turned out to be a good sport about it. He said he was sitting there imagining all sorts of scenarios about dead road kill and was trying to figure out how to excuse himself from the table before he barffed in the mashed potatoes! So was the saga of the 'possum butt pie! ;) Monty

S

stefen

One of the funniest stories yet.

Thank you.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

LOL! ;D ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ahh thats a good one.

M

mchamby

Monty your family sounds like they were fun to be around no wonder your buddy wanted to go with you.
Mchamby

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III

I ALWAYS had seconds of Possum Butt Pie!!!! My family is from Ok too! I always thought it was good! All of my childhood memories are crushed!!! :'( :'( :'( ;D ;D ;D

Rich

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Funny thing Rich in Texas, his name was Richard and the last time I saw him he was in Texas! Monty

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

HEY don't knock roadkill guys / gals. IN some ways this is the only time we get a chance to catch our sister here in Kintucky. When she's lapping a freshly found afternoon snack on the motorcar lane.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, darn it, you just reminded me of another true story! A bunch of us guys was deer hunting way back in the Kiamich, a mountainous region in SE Oklahoma, with not many paved roads, no kidding. We were going up a steep timber road to look for a place to camp and met an old beat up 50s model pickup truck coming down the one lane road. We pulled over to let him go by and it was occupied with what looked to be genuine hillbillies, a father driving and two sons standing in the back hanging on to a headache rack. They stopped and asked us if we had seen a girl coming down the road. We said no, and they explained that their sister had escaped and they were looking for her. We asked suspiciously, "Escaped"? And they said yes, she is crazy and they have to keep her locked up. We said no we hadn't, but went on a little nervously. While we were setting up camp the came back by and had what appeared to be a woman, obviously wild as an animal in a cage in the back of the truck. She just sat drooling and looking with a fixed toothless grin and barked every now and then. They told us we could stop worrying, they caught her. We said, "Worrying"? to which they told us there was no telling what she might do if she found us in her woods! I don't think any of us slept a wink for two nights before we moved our camp about ten more miles down the main highway! I still wonder about that. :o Monty

S

stefen

Monty,

Did you hear banjo's a strummin in the background?

Attachments

• uglygirl.jpg
    uglygirl.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 237
  • uglygirl.jpg
    uglygirl.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 244

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread