Post about your luck here

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got into CRH a few days ago, anyways I pick up 290 in Customer rolled halfs and turns out they were someone's dump. Then i get 250 in dimes and find absolutely nothing. Later I ordered 6 boxes of dimes and guess what, they all are 2012 brand new clad. I has the worst luck lol. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

ps. If anyone is in the DC/Northern VA Area and wants to give me tips on some good banks that order mixed coins instead of brand new ones, help would be greatly appreciated

Upvote 0

ihittheskislopes

Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep at it, go to every bank you see, stop in all the banks in your area and talk to them.

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always keep 1k cash on you and stop in every bank you see and buy every half or customer wrapped rolls they have. Even if it is not one you belong to- usually tellers are happy to get rid of them.

OP
OP
sagthegreat

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The thing is there are some pretty big Coin Roll Hunters were I live (northern VA)

Because 2 banks across town have the same x's on the rolls. So most likely the Customer rolls are from him..

OP
OP
sagthegreat

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, so notihng left for the newbie :(, oh well if Ndagr is reading this, i hope he considers to lay off just a little to help me. please :D

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing is there are some pretty big Coin Roll Hunters were I live (northern VA)

There are literally hundreds of hunters in the DC / VA / MD metro area. Take it from someone who used to live there. Find a good bank or five, get your coin dumping strategy down, and prepare yourself for lots o' skunks. The ones who survive in the DC area, have a good strategy and patience, not to mention the ability to churn through a lot of volume. Good Luck!!

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would any certain area have more coin roll hunters then the next? Assuming similar population densities of course. I live in a major metro area and so far as I can tell there aren't very many hunters here and there are literally a bank on every corner. They are endless, i could hit 50 banks In a day if I wanted to. But I'm just getting started and haven't had any free time since I learned the hobby. To top it off I'm going camping next week. Won't be coin roll hunting there. lol.
I wanna spend an entire day hunting but haven't been able to yet. If I take a day off of work to coin roll hunt I will LOSE money. But I mange to pop into one during lunch here and there to grab a few.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would any certain area have more coin roll hunters then the next?

Because some have more people who hunt than others do. The DC Metro area is HEAVILY HUNTED. Just look how well represented it is on this site. Now factor in the ones who hunt in that area who lurk on this site and don't post. Then factor the ones who hunt and don't even know about this site. Pretty soon you realize you are just one of many. We all are.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey sagthegreat, don't get to discouraged. Everybody gets skunked sometimes. I don't know what others have found but in my area I was only seeing 2012p for two weeks. Although I'm not sure they are all gone for good. When I did get them though banks were happy to trade for cwr. Good luck and HH

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Most people are going to be posting their silver finds I think but all I can do is pennies right now. I'm doing quite well a little under $200FV and have found 117 wheats, including a high AU-MS one! I got a $15 skunk once searched the first 3 rolls no copper at all, so didn't search anymore of those.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this isn't a team game, no boxes would be spared to help out a newbie... believe me. It's survival of the fittest, if you have the sources and connections, you'll thrive, if you don't, chances are you'll not last long, or you'll only do small volume.

OP
OP
sagthegreat

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Talk about luck, i got 2 boxes of halfs with the sides painted bright pink, and today being friday the 13th i dont think i will do much better. Oh well keep on trying

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
To what buffaloBoy said.Out here in Missouri it is really just survival of me.No one in the springfield or Willard area crh except me.But someone did come all the way from Ozark(95 miles away) to pick up a roll of half dollars.They had a thick black line going down the side of the roll for some strange reason.LOL they were all bicentenials,no 40'ers or proofs or anything.I found that so funny.Since I am the only guy here in this part of MO that crh.I havent been skunked once in 6 months of this.BooYah.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, no one is going to make room for you. To this day I have boxes sniped from me at a couple locations. Several locations like me, so my boxes are always waiting. Just keep at it, be smart, you will find your groove.

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
What namster said... I've been CRHing for about 2 months now and I'm still in the process of finding the right combination of pickup/dump banks to get into my 'groove', as he so eloquently put it. Just keep at it and you'll become more and more familiar with what to expect from your area.

OP
OP
sagthegreat

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you guys have any tips on what to avoid in Customer wrapped rolls because the tellers says, some guy just dropped in 150$ in halfs, now that sounds fishy right? I mean no one deals in half dollers now so it must be a roll hunter

fingerscrossed

Apr 22, 2012
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The skunks will only affect you in your first few boxes..very quickly skunks will mean nothing to you just keep going..

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys have any tips on what to avoid in Customer wrapped rolls because the tellers says, some guy just dropped in 150$ in halfs, now that sounds fishy right? I mean no one deals in half dollers now so it must be a roll hunter

I have faced this situation on a few occasions. Large drop offs are almost always guaranteed to be dumps these days. That said, I have gone through CWRs that were definitely dumps (all the coins were facing the same direction in every roll) and I still managed to pull a couple dirty 40%ers out of them. Some people have eyesight that is not so good, or they need a new prescription, or they dont want the 40%ers, or whatever. Hence the "buy it all" rule.

OTOH I was at a chase once, I asked about halves and the LT said they had $2500 worth in boxes. I asked if the boxes are still sealed and she said they are opened and the rolls are all the CWR type. I passed on that because I was out of town and did not have the capital and dumping resources to go through what might give up a couple coins, or nothing. Trust your instincts and never second guess a decision or wonder what might have been. Just keep going forward.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions