Post an Arrowhead and tell its use (open posting)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Name an arrowhead or tool. Give a time frame. Post a picture and tell us what you can of its many uses. Provide your research links...... Here is an interesting one to start......

Morrow Mountain,Middle Archaic, Hunting and warfare.
a005.jpg
Source Book, Prehistoric Indians of the South East. Archeology of Alabama and the Middle South.pg 64 online .
Burials

The burial positions of these individulalls was not the only unusuall thing about them_ all three had met violent deaths. The rib cage of burial 83 an adult male,had been penetrated by three projectile points. One of these was a morrow mountain while the other two had been fragmented upon impact and could not be identified. Burial 84,also an adult male was associated with 7 Morrow Mountain projectiles points. 4 Morrow Mountains were found in the thoracic cavity, 2 Morrow Mountains were firmly imbedded in the spinal column and one Morrow Mountain was found in the mouth cavity. One of the two points found in the spinal column"had entered from the front and loged in the centrum(center part of the vertebra, the other had penetrated from the rear and was embedded between two neural processes.
Burial number 85, a male adolecent had been placed into the burial pit first then a cache of artifacts was placed between the arm and body.Two bone awls from deer ulnas,one biface knife,and two Morrow Mountain projectile points. This individuall also had a projectile point firmly embedded in his spinal column.

Here is the book on line if you want to buy it. Talks a lot about pre-clovis artifacts,, You can read some on line at
http://books.google.com/books?id=kM...esult&ct=result&resnum=4#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Upvote 0

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
here are 5 bone points
I suppose they are for general purpose
the center one may have been special or had some ones name on it because it has staff of feathers marked on both sides
I don't know if this is for sure, but maybe someone can give some opinions about them
I have 2 more: one has 4 tails on it and one has 2 or 4 tails on it(it is a broke(split)piece)
I will try to find them and post them as soon as I can
I think this is a good topic for positve remarks and discussion
I did not know so many types of points existed until I discovered this great website

Attachments

• IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 1,237

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
OK. This is a Charleston Point. Early Archaic time frame. Use : Hafted Knife.

This is the less pretty side of it, taken to show the deep basal thinning flake that's pretty common on these ; the other side has the removals converging at a line running down the center of it. Plano-convex in profile (made on a blade-like flake) with heavy basal grinding.

This one, like most, is exhausted -- re-worked 'til there was nothing more left of it. Like most also, one shoulder and the toe on that side are gone -- burin flaked off. Why, I don't know, but that's the way corner notched EA points are commonly found in this part of the country. It would look prettier restored, but also slightly suspicious (to my mind).

It was found by Dudley Martin in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, who was a pioneer artifact collector. A big flood in 1866 exposed a lot of relics on his farm and he caught the bug. It was part of the the Lycoming County Historical Society collection until around 1995 when some legislation was in the works that would have confiscated museum collections and turned them over to the indigenous people (fortunately never passed). This prompted the LCHS to sell off its holdings ; as a result I was lucky enough to snag a point I likely would never have been able to find. Unlike some other areas, the climate changes the Holocene kicked off buried the early stuff under so much alluvium here that you'd almost need to mine it. Case in point is a site in Bedford County (where they put the Old Bedford Village) that got contract-excavated due to some rule or other. As I recall, they stopped at about eight feet and were only down to the bifurcate horizon at that depth. The little (and I do mean little) Early Archaic stuff found in much of Pennsylvania is from hilltop sites.

As I recall from the site report, the Charleston Point was found & named at the St. Albans site in West Virginia ; found 28 feet down (about as far as they could go).

And that's my little Show-&-Tell.

Attachments

• DSC00220.jpg
    DSC00220.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 890

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Jack's Reef Corner Notched

DESCRIPTION: Jack's Reef Corner Notched points range in size from 25 to 65 mm in length, but average about 48 mm. These are relatively thin points averaging under 6 mm thick. The shape is either ovoid or pentagonal in outline and flat or nearly so in cross section. The blade edges are convex or angular, with deep corner notches creating thin, sharp barbs and tangs. The base is generally straight, with minor irregularities and sometimes lightly ground smooth.
Closely related to the corner-notched version is the Jack's Reef Pentagonal. This is a small to medium sized, very thin, five-sided point usually with a very sharp tip. The hafting area is usually a straight-sided contracting stem, with a slightly concave to straight base.

AGE AND CULTURE: This point falls into the late Middle Woodland to early Late Woodland time period and is a principal point of the Point Peninsula and early Owasco complexes. (afvnews.com)

The Jack's Reef Corner Notched has a very wide range and is found in New England, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ontario - Canada, West Virginia, Kentucky and northern Virginia, northern Alabama, South Carolina and Tennessee.

The Jack's Reef Corner Notched point was named by William A. Ritchie in 1961 from specimens he found at the late Point Peninsula Jack's Reef site in Onondaga County, NY in 1947. (lithics.net)

I've read these points were used as knives and as true projectile points? I'm not sure of the actual use.

Attachments

• phpjJM4AxPM.jpg
    phpjJM4AxPM.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 931
  • phptRk3MlPM.jpg
    phptRk3MlPM.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 913

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
is it common for the tips to curve in after the shoulder?I have dug a couple of Perds that have tips like that.Could they have been the ones used as knives....?

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uni
What a great piece of history you have saved. Having the pedigree on it is so important. Great story. Hard to beleive the artifacts were so deep and now the site is gone. I can see that knife hafted. Very nice show and tell. Nice artifact. Thanks for taking the time to share
Regards
TnMountains

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thirty7
Great collection of jacks reefs. Seeing so many grouped together like that is something.They look like projectile points seeing them all together. I have a couple and they are favorites of mine. Nice collection and good examples. I always seem to find mine near water. Thanks for sharing.

TnMountains

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thirty7 said:
btw, great educational topic here, good idea Tn. Nice pieces everyone.

I am learning by everyone showing. I thought it was neat to see the antler projecticles.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Neo --

If you're asking about the Charleston, yes. A-symmetrical resharpening is usual on examples nearing the end of the line.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some food for thought......you know those small points everybody likes to call "bird points",........several years ago I was able to draw a tag to hunt bison buffalo,in the Henry Mtns. of Utah (wild Buffalo)I would only hunt with bow and arrow(modern compound).My freind had guided several archery hunts for bison and was not impressed with archery performance.His main gripe was lack of penetration even with bows up to 85 pounds.I did some major research before this hunt on why this was a problem and noticed everybody was using large broadheads.From my experience with bears and hogs I usually had pass through shots......major penetration.In my research I had come across a fellow from Rocket Aeroheads that had just returned from Africa and was elated with the penetration of there new broadhead ......phenominal penetration.Well I tested them on Elk,Moose and several hogs,extreme penetration and quick kills!!!!The 2400 lb.Bull Bison I took was no different two arrows(he didnt even know he was shot)one pass through and the other sunk to the fletching.Shooting 65 lbs!These points are 1 1/8 wide and not much over an inch long.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi tn mountains.good post here is one i would like to know more about.was found in tn,i didn't find it but a friend did.seems as if I'm back on the hunt for knowledge. Jamey

Attachments

• IMG_1093.JPG
    IMG_1093.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 735
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jamey you are back !!! Me and thirty7 were wondering the other day where you had been. Good seeing you :hello: What does the base look like ? It kinda looks like what we call a bradley spike without looking it up. But man of man I have been wrong bunches. You still over near Stones River? You quit hunting??
TnMtns :icon_sunny:

Ok here is another I think???
Bradley spike
4000-800 BP
Use: unknown

Attachments

• 100_2330.JPG
    100_2330.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 633

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi my good friend.sorry about the late responce.looks the same they do,the base is not really worked all that great.just happened to pass him bye and asked what he had found and took a picture of it,it was about 6 inches long though and i was hopeing to find one also.so good to talk to ya again,doing some great post`s too i see.got really busy,and my computer is better now so ill be looking in on all ya.i see larson is still getting some great stuff,and i saw you were looking for a cabinet?i have a meck.drawing cabinet,well made too hold drawings about 20 drawers in it big it is.made of metal.they are about 3x4 and two inches deep. interested.oh 3 foot by 4 feet.4 sections about six foot tall all together when all sections are together.interested jamey

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
This one was used as a Knife.

Attachments

• P1010110.JPG
    P1010110.JPG
    694.5 KB · Views: 662
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jamey said:
hi my good friend.sorry about the late responce.looks the same they do,the base is not really worked all that great.just happened to pass him bye and asked what he had found and took a picture of it,it was about 6 inches long though and i was hopeing to find one also.so good to talk to ya again,doing some great post`s too i see.got really busy,and my computer is better now so ill be looking in on all ya.i see larson is still getting some great stuff,and i saw you were looking for a cabinet?i have a meck.drawing cabinet,well made too hold drawings about 20 drawers in it big it is.made of metal.they are about 3x4 and two inches deep. interested.oh 3 foot by 4 feet.4 sections about six foot tall all together when all sections are together.interested jamey

At 6'' I doubt it is a bradley spike ? Though the bases are not really worked and lots of times the cortex is still on them like ours. Yours might be one on steroids? haha Let me think about the cabinet I am familiar with blue print cabinets. Problem for me is wall space with all the deer heads looking down at me. I am so glad you are back and sorry we never got to do that hunt this summer

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cedarratt
That is as nice as they come. Where is it from? :notworthy:
TnMtns

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
TN,
Excellent topic. Very thoughtful and thought-provoking. I've got a couple of pieces I'd like to throw in the mix, but I'm too busy studying the posts on this one. Very good material and a wealth of information. You hit one out of the park on this one, TN. and I'd like to see it live a long life. Strong work! Incidentally, my most commonly visited site was discovered as a trackhoe bringing in a new municipal water line dug through a Wichita female ca. AD 1400, with, as I recall, embedded stone point intact and in thoracic cavity (please let me confirm that before holding me to it). My point?, some information and commonly accepted theories don't always have to involve a great deal of conjecture or grave-robbing. Subsequently, this particular site was properly excavated by OU and remains properly handled. Hope to be able to throw something into the mix, but given the collective experience and knowledge of the TreasureNet cast, I find myself a much better spectator and student, and I'm perfectly happy to assume that station.
Please, keep up the good work.
Doc

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
docmann said:
TN,
Excellent topic. Very thoughtful and thought-provoking. I've got a couple of pieces I'd like to throw in the mix, but I'm too busy studying the posts on this one. Very good material and a wealth of information. You hit one out of the park on this one, TN. and I'd like to see it live a long life. Strong work! Incidentally, my most commonly visited site was discovered as a trackhoe bringing in a new municipal water line dug through a Wichita female ca. AD 1400, with, as I recall, embedded stone point intact and in thoracic cavity (please let me confirm that before holding me to it). My point?, some information and commonly accepted theories don't always have to involve a great deal of conjecture or grave-robbing. Subsequently, this particular site was properly excavated by OU and remains properly handled. Hope to be able to throw something into the mix, but given the collective experience and knowledge of the TreasureNet cast, I find myself a much better spectator and student, and I'm perfectly happy to assume that station.
Please, keep up the good work.
Doc

I admitt my intentions were to gather knowledge from fellow members. I started with the Morrow mountain point knowing a little history. As a Doc you will appreciate this. Many years ago I was privledge to hold and study a skull in an academic setting that had a whole point embedded into it. That in itself is not unusuall what was is that the person lived and the bone healed and grew around the point for a number of years. The point protruded about three inches out of the skull. Memory serves it was a Morrow Mtn. Point.
Please post away and share.
Thank you sir for kind words.
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread