POST COLONIAL COPPER

relish

Mar 28, 2013
Staten Island NY
Detector(s) used
ATPRO......Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC02562.JPG DSC02563.JPG DSC02566.JPG Found what appears to be a post colonial CT. copper....1786.....badly corroded!

Upvote 6
B

BiggusDiggus

Nice Find!! Now if only I could find some Connecticut coppers in Connecticut....How deep?What detector?Signal(70's?)...Good Luck!!HH

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It appears that you found a George II British halfpence made well before the revolution. It looks like the word BRITANIA on the reverse and the head on the obverse is stylistically like a George II.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find, be careful cleaning it, get advise from the guys who have cleaned allot of these type "dug coins"
Congrats!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like a KG2. You can see the NIA of Britania. Nice find

image-237063354.jpg

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool copper!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good catch, IP.....you are to old coppers what TheCannonBallGuy is to all things Civil War, lol. Nice find no matter what, Relish. Great to see people getting out and making very nice finds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but it's an old head George II Halfpenny and you posted a young head George II Farthing. :)
Good call my friend. Can't sneak anything by you. :-) you're a good resource for this forum. You've helped me and several others lots of times and we appreciate it

OP
OP
R

relish

Mar 28, 2013
Staten Island NY
Detector(s) used
ATPRO......Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks

Thanks for the input....you have a better eye than I do....I used the Red Book for reference......didn't have an idea it could be a KG from GB.....it was found at an old farm site in NYC.

OP
OP
R

relish

Mar 28, 2013
Staten Island NY
Detector(s) used
ATPRO......Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find!! Now if only I could find some Connecticut coppers in Connecticut....How deep?What detector?Signal(70's?)...Good Luck!!HH
..........6 inches.....ATPRO.....81-82....at an old farm in NYC.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Hope your going back there!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input....you have a better eye than I do....I used the Red Book for reference......didn't have an idea it could be a KG from GB.....it was found at an old farm site in NYC.
I would spend some time at that site. Take your time and dig every little peep. NYC has some incredible history and you're obviously on a very old site that had activity in the 1700s. The rough condition could be due to fertilizers used over the years. Have you done anything in the way of cleaning? I don't like to give advice on cleaning methods because I don't ever want to be responsible for someone ruining their nice find. I on the other hand will always attempt to clean up something a bit if it's not rare or valuable. I hate not being able to see dates. Good luck at that place. I bet there's some other old keepers hiding there

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
R

relish

Mar 28, 2013
Staten Island NY
Detector(s) used
ATPRO......Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have it in a olive oil soak......if I get better results,I'll post the pics......found at the same site,different days.....1 1918 Standing Liberty half....and 2 large cents with unreadable dates......I'm soaking those also.....I'll post those @ a later date......I have another site that was near a American Revolution tavern....the only detectable spot is a nearby park and we need a permit to detect there......most of the area is ball fields and is off limits to MD'ing...in the open areas I have found old buckles and musket balls.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have it in a olive oil soak......if I get better results,I'll post the pics......found at the same site,different days.....1 1918 Standing Liberty half....and 2 large cents with unreadable dates......I'm soaking those also.....I'll post those @ a later date......I have another site that was near a American Revolution tavern....the only detectable spot is a nearby park and we need a permit to detect there......most of the area is ball fields and is off limits to MD'ing...in the open areas I have found old buckles and musket balls.
Hey Relish I had never tried the olive oil until this winter. I did a very quick hp bath to get some of the deep green crud off then olive oil. I just took it out yesterday after a month or so. It was really bad when I found and I'm happy with results .

image-2326866668.jpg

OP
OP
R

relish

Mar 28, 2013
Staten Island NY
Detector(s) used
ATPRO......Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job.....you have it right.....it takes time and patience when trying to clean an old copper......I will sometimes rub a little vaseline to highlight some details.......vaseline also helps on brown clad qtr.......just wash them and apply a light coating of vaseline....Coinstar coin machines will then accept many of them!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread