Post mint or not?

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been actively searching different denominations of coins and come across coins that have something fishy about them quite often, I have a really hard time distinguishing between a coin just being beat up, or having a ding or gouge and something that happened at the mint. I have a handful of coins right now I am hanging on to but really have no idea if they are of value or not, other than face of course. I would love to post some pictures for you experts but it might get overwhelming and confusing.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do them one at a time. We'll throw you our $.02 worth! :laughing7:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Assuming you have little experience here, let's ask a few questions while you are learning to post images on the forum. Taking only one of the coins in question, what leads you to believe that it may be a mint error? That is, what specific characteristics are evident that would not normally be part of the minting process? Could these specific characteristics be evidence of post mint events or damage?

A good guide on mint errors, and how they happen, would be in order, if you do not already have one. There are several coin websites that are helpful here to the dilegent searcher. A good cherrypickers guide, such as that published by Whitman, might also be helpful.

Even with good images, opinions on any forum may vary. A two dimensional image is always lacking when compared to a three dimensional, hold in your hand with light and loupe examination.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the pics loaded to your computer you don't need photo bucket. Just attach the files when you post.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tried uploading from the computer and it says file too large.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's my first example of a different coin. Weird flaky coppery half.

20160215_133424.jpg 20160215_133409.jpg

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I don't know much about your coin, but it looks PMD. Secondly, but really firstly...congrats on hanging in there and learning to post pictures!

aj

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why if I use photosucket can anyone click on a photo I post and scroll through my whole album?

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Having never used photobucket, I cannot answer any questions related to it.

In regard to the half you posted images of, the coin has been plated, or coated, with a foreign substance. The color in the image tells me it may not have been gold, but some images have color quality problems. The plating was very thin, possibly flash or vapor deposition enough to be visible. So thin that strongly rubbing with thumb or finger for a few moments could rub it off.

The flaking indicates long term exposure to a hostile environment, such as moist soil. Years in a high humidity environment also causes similar damage.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because a link to photo bucket is an entirety different site. You can show all of the pics here, just keep attaching them.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been actively searching different denominations of coins and come across coins that have something fishy about them quite often, I have a really hard time distinguishing between a coin just being beat up, or having a ding or gouge and something that happened at the mint. I have a handful of coins right now I am hanging on to but really have no idea if they are of value or not, other than face of course. I would love to post some pictures for you experts but it might get overwhelming and confusing.

Keep posting your coins photos. I like looking at them and being fairly new to error collecting I learn a lot from the different coins people post. Even if they are not errors you can use that info to help weed out non error coins.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
O.k. here's the next one in question. I call this error "rim squished wheat", almost looks like there's writing on the squished part of the rim.
I did not take these photos sideways, might have to turn your head.

20160216_220212.jpg 20160216_215956.jpg

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay how about this copper colored quarter? I put it next to a regular quarter for comparison.
20160216_224339.jpg 20160216_224348.jpg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cents are just damage. The quarter at one time was in a tumbler with some cents and the copper transferred to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread