diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've made $182 so far on 6 of these perfumes I got last month for .10 and .25 each.

attachment.php
attachment.php

drbecker

Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Few years ago at a garage sale only a couple blocks from home I bought a narrow brim Boonie cap from a retired Special Forces soldier. He had a pile of ratty gear for $1 each. It was a theater made Vietnam era special forces marked hat well worn. sold it the next week to a collector of Vietnam war collectables for $100. I could have got a little more if I pushed it but 100 times my money is fine most of the time.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a few stories from years ago, and some recent, but I'll post just the oldest three today that have stuck in my memory. Back when ebay was still an internet youngster, and before 911 sobered us about the state of the world, our local library branch used to sell books to raise funds, or maybe as a public service considering their prices: .25 for hardbacks, and .10 for paperbacks. Well, they were kind enough to sell me a couple of nicer soft-covers as paperbacks for .10 each. One was a self-published tome about turkey hunting. I was a turkey hunter myself, and I had never heard of the guy. I didn't really learn anything new reading his book. However, I knew turkey hunters were crazy about turkey hunting related stuff. In fact, the very first item I ever sold on ebay was one of my old turkey calls that I'd had since I was a kid in the 1960s; it was a Lynch slate call with a burnt hardwood peg, and it went for an obscene amount of money, or so I thought, I think it was in the $60s or $70s. So, I figured I'd put the book up for auction on ebay, I thought I might get $5. I listed it at .99. After really furious bidding, it sold for $98. I was shocked, but happily so.

The other softcover was a book of photos by a guy named Irving Penn. I had heard of him, since I had been a fashion photog back in the day. That one sold for $60. I then went online and found another copy of it in a bookstore in Scotland. With shipping, the total for it was $15. I bought it, and it arrived in a few days, surprisingly fast. It was not in as nice condition as the first one, and it sold for $40. That was fun, and alarmingly profitable, so I started going to yard sales to find more stuff.

I think it was just about the first sale I ever attended, and it turned out to be an estate sale for a woman run by her children, none of them older than maybe 25 I guess. Well, I was brand new to this activity myself, and was looking for stuff I knew something about like cameras and fishing reels. There was none of that, but a lot of sewing stuff, and after having read in this thread about how much patterns can sell for, I'm wondering if I overlooked some real value that day in those. But I did see a sewing machine, and if I remember right, it had an lcd screen and a bunch of buttons. The name on it was ELNA. That name jogged something in my memory, then I saw it was made in Switzerland. The young gal selling the sewing stuff asked for $15. I paid with untoward alacrity and ran back to my car and drove out of there about as fast as I could.

I can tell you, after I got home and looked it up on ebay and saw what they were selling for, I had some pangs of conscience, thinking of them poor orphans. But the days went by, and everyone told me not to be an idiot and to forget about it, so I did. I sold it to a gal for $900 who lived in Naples, Fl. I was in Miami on the opposite coast, so we met sort of halfway on Highway 29 in the middle of the Big Cypress Swamp, about the loneliest, most dismal wilderness in which to complete a large cash transaction that you can imagine, maybe 40 miles from the nearest gas station or store from my end, and about that far from her end. I had hunted the Big Cypress in them days, but I'd never sold a sewing machine out there before. That gal had pluck, I'll say that, or she was crazy anxious to get that machine.

And that's how my dubious career as a yard sale pirate really began, which lead me deeper into iniquity when I bought metal detecting machines at yard sales to resell. I had to test them to see if they were working. And I began finding lost rings and bling...my first found ring being the highly collectible Mexican biker ring I use for an avatar.

Last edited:

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just stopped at a new thrift store I've never seen before this pin is sterling silver and it signed I figure maybe it'll sell for eight dollars I paid one.

image-2782759277.jpg

But I needed to buy it to go with these earrings that were also a dollar in there Marked 585! Love those numbers that people don't jump out and see right away!! I don't have a scale I'm going to guess there about 4 to 5 g weight.

image-3799879912.jpg

They were $1 also!

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Not too big a deal, but 100% profit. Found a box of books by a dumpster while taking my trash out. Only one book caught my eye.
Arban Trumpet or Cornet Method Carl Fischer Edition 1936 hardcover.
File1.jpg
Listed for $19.95 and accepted a $15.00 offer. Easy Money!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where do I start? I don't call myself dollardan for nothing. others just call me cheap.
A month ago I bought a lot of coins from a yard sale. for the silver coins the seller wanted me to set the price. I paid a fair price on those.

For the modern "COLLECTIBLE CLAD" he set the price FACE VALUE, so i spent $56-58 and filled a box. Here are some i just sold the last week.

paid $1.46 sold $7.50
781953904_o.jpg

paid .25¢ sold $7.50
781953896_o.jpg

paid .10¢ sold $20.00
781953808_o.jpg

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paid $1 each for 4 pieces of old heathkit electronic equipment, super filthy, covered with dust and sawdust so thick it had almost turned into fabric. I was on my way out and decided to give one last look at the bottom shelves at the risk of irritating my fiance. Did not even know what they were. Turned out to be two mono amps and two preamps, sold them for a total of $1100 in two days. They were so heavy they were awful to ship, but I didn't care...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paid one dollar each for these today. All from the 70s and 80s except for the Snoopy's are 52 and 65.

image-974581910.jpg

image-1649921979.jpg

I am going to list them all as a group lot hopefully enough to pay for everything I spent today.

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up this box of 10 vintage Maxell UDS-II 90 Minute Blank Cassette Tapes, all sealed in the box for $1.00 total at a privately run estate sale, and I listed it for $99.95 BIN on the Bay, with free shipping. I had multiple watchers in a matter of hours, and it sold within a couple of days. Resources such as this forum and even Youtube have been invaluable in my success at flipping finds for profit. In this instance, I remembered viewing an online video listing often overlooked items to seek out at estate sales, and the video said that obsolete NOS blank media such as cassette tapes and even VHS tapes can bring quite a profit. Oddly enough, the host of the video said that most of the obsolete media he sells goes to Russia...well, mine went to New Hampshire...but to a Russian buyer. Just what are those Eastern Bloc fellas up to? :)
maxell.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread