Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Open posting. Post those little uniface thumb scrapers we find. Here are a few and will post more if people are interested...

100_3929.JPG

Upvote 0

Volfannumber1

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2020
Powell, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
I generally don't use one, I primarily only hunt Native American artifacts.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That looks like one of the pictures in my Overstreet 15th edition.

DaveSmith

May 26, 2020
western nc.....foothills
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Imaudigger,
I asked a friend that knaps if he could make stuff out of quartz, he said"those boys were good"! That may be the reason there aren't as many to be found. And my pic is beside a silver dollar not a quarter so probably takes me out of second place lol

GrouseMan

Mar 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first and only, made out of crystal quartz! Found last week.
D56E7977-1308-4A75-93D0-D50B98F012AE.jpeg

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a lot of knowledge being freely offered back in the day here.
Decade later... Uniface has been consistent it seems. Thanks.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have thought about about those questions also. I think whoever left it got sidetracked and forgot it... View attachment 1847137

That always seems to be the general line of reasoning on artifacts like yours and other items like unfinished bannerstones, etc. Aside from simply losing it as we all have done with tools, money, etc., we must never discount the very real possiblilty of some natural disaster separating belongings from its owner. There were tornadoes, hurricanes, flash floods, wildfires, volcanic eruptions and earthquakes back then, just the way there are today, not to mention sudden attacks by other groups. Why would someone leave behind such beautiful artifacts? Probably didn't.

Beautiful scraper. About as pretty a material as one could imagine.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I might give you a run for your money, but, no, not quite, lol....Not even close, lol...

View attachment 1866480

Nice! Kind of a butterscotch chert? I’ve seen some flakes that color around here.
So far I haven’t quite seen any as delicate as that one I posted. Funny thing is, I picked it up at least once and discarded it in an area littered with leaves, before coming back months later, armed with more knowledge (learned here).

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice! Kind of a butterscotch chert? I’ve seen some flakes that color around here.
So far I haven’t quite seen any as delicate as that one I posted. Funny thing is, I picked it up at least once and discarded it in an area littered with leaves, before coming back months later, armed with more knowledge (learned here).

It’s jasper, sourced either in RI, or Pa., they are visually impossible to separate. But, jasper is a form of chert. Jasper is fairly rare at my sites, I save every flake. Dump the bag out, and go through them and I’ll always find a micro tool. They made lots of flake tools out of jasper, did not waste it very often I guess.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s jasper, sourced either in RI, or Pa., they are visually impossible to separate. But, jasper is a form of chert. Jasper is fairly rare at my sites, I save every flake. Dump the bag out, and go through them and I’ll always find a micro tool. They made lots of flake tools out of jasper, did not waste it very often I guess.

Sometimes I wonder if they didn’t wedge a small flake into a split stick or bone and use it as a micro blade, kind of like an exact-o knife. Would be much easier to utilize than trying to hold a small sharp edge in your bare hands.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
FWIW, they almost certainly wedge endscrapers into bones with the ends cut off for exerting pressure comfortably in use. But microblades were almost necessarily hand-held. Partly because the cutting edges were so small to begin with, and partly because, being thin, they'd easily snap if pressure was exerted on them. You don't need much force with a razor blade.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FWIW, they almost certainly wedge endscrapers into bones with the ends cut off for exerting pressure comfortably in use. But microblades were almost necessarily hand-held. Partly because the cutting edges were so small to begin with, and partly because, being thin, they'd easily snap if pressure was exerted on them. You don't need much force with a razor blade.

I was thinking along the lines of avoiding injuries. Small razor sharp objects are a little risky to work with. That’s why I like having a handle on generally all razors. Control and safety.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're talking about 1.5 inchers, that's one thing. Many of the jasper/heated Onondaga ones I recall finding cores for produced blades +/- 10 mm.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out and tried to find a scraper this evening.
Found a broken bird point and a quartz crystal which I think was carried in from somewhere else.

I’m thinking I need to rip the field I’m searching rather than disc it. Maybe I’ll buy a double bottom plow and see if I can’t turn something up that way. Hate to break stuff, but it won’t see the light if day if I don’t do some earthwork.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread