Potential Axe Head or Tool found in NE Kansas

AndieM

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I found this artifact when we were building our house in NE Kansas. I first posted it on What Is It and the crew at first thought it was just a rock but then decided it might actually have been a North American Indian tool of some sort. It's about 4" tall and 2 5/8" wide.

Axe Head 3.jpg Axe head 2.jpg AFF1308E-FDD5-4732-9CF8-C721DEF0F8B3.jpeg

What do you think?

Thank you,

Andie Moll

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes 100% an artifact , looks like a full groove axe head and from the looks it was used a lot. It may have been longer originally but hard to tell that’s a really nice find it took 20 years of hunting before I found one. I would check that area again especially after a good rain there probably is more artifacts ..... probably not another axe but some points.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes 100% an artifact , looks like a full groove axe head and from the looks it was used a lot. It may have been longer originally but hard to tell that’s a really nice find it took 20 years of hunting before I found one. I would check that area again especially after a good rain there probably is more artifacts ..... probably not another axe but some points.

I have to respectfully disagree.

Why would someone go to all the trouble of putting a groove into what looks to be a very dense stone full of quartz crystals and then do nothing to the Poll or Bit ends? I know it could be unfinished but if you zoom in there is no evidence of pecking or grinding in the groove and if it was a preform those attributes would still be evident.

Also, if it was an actual Tool it shows no evidence from what I can see in your pictures of use wear on what would be considered the Bit end.

Without holding it im going to have to go with just an oddly eroded stone and natural.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everytime I see something like this I think Indians weren't all great tool makers I'd hate to see an arrowhead or axe I tried to make so just because it's not an obvious artifact it all depends on who made it lol

Thirdeyeartifactguy

Apr 21, 2019
NE PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks natural. Before I became more educated on the subject I would have thought it was an artifact. Just like anything its a process of learning.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why would someone go to all the trouble of putting a groove into what looks to be a very dense stone full of quartz crystals and then do nothing to the Poll or Bit ends? I know it could be unfinished but if you zoom in there is no evidence of pecking or grinding in the groove and if it was a preform those attributes would still be evident.

Also, if it was an actual Tool it shows no evidence from what I can see in your pictures of use wear on what would be considered the Bit end.

Without holding it im going to have to go with just an oddly eroded stone and natural.

The 3rd pic looks like the groove has been pecked into that shape especially the right side , but you bring up some good points it does look like the wrong type of stone with all those inclusions

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with Grim too... Bit end looks natural.

Moark

May 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they really? Seems like just a bunch of grumpy old men

Moark

May 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let’s be honest here. I’m sure they hear and see way worse on all the social media surrounding us today.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let’s be honest here. I’m sure they hear and see way worse on all the social media surrounding us today.

Moark, "let's be honest here", we are family friendly forum with rules keep that in mind in your posts.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions