Pottery find at Dimeh in Egypt

cuenut

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My children and I recently went on a trip to Dimeh, an ancient city in the desert about 2.5 hours travel from Cairo. Apparently it was excavated in the 1930's but mainly in an effort to identify its walls and interior buildings. At one end there are huge mounds (40' high and 30' wide that tourists can actually drive on top of. There are literally millions of pieces of old shards of pottery that have been trampled and broken. Some believe that the mounds were actually the trash "dump" when the city was booming. As we were walking along the top of mounds, I saw that part of a pot was sticking up at an unusual angle, so I started digging As I continued, the shape became evident, and I managed over the next couple of hours to dig out most of what was left of the jug. I brought all of the pieces back to my flat, purchased some superglue, and proceeded with one of my sons to clean the pieces and reconstruct the "puzzle". Here is the end result. Not museum quality, but it came with a great family memory! it is about 10" in diameter at the widest and probably 20-24 inches tall.

Attachments

• Dimeh pot #1.jpg
    Dimeh pot #1.jpg
    739.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Dimeh pot #2.jpg
    Dimeh pot #2.jpg
    675.1 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 3

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Only pottery we have to remember a family vacation is a coffee mug with an image of Mickey Mouse on it.

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. If you value your freedom you will not try to take it home with you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions