detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, can anyone identify this pottery glyph? I know it's cut off but I thought maybe someone could connect the dots. Thx!:) good luck! IMG_20150207_132811.jpg IMG_20150207_132834.jpg

Upvote 0

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting to say the least! I'm no pottery expert. Knowing where it came from might be very helpful and how it was found? Take this with a grain of salt, it looks like it could be an old colonial potters "makers mark", too bad there's not a little more there,very neat .regardless. I'm sure someone better informed will chime in.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a toothbrush and tap water to it. Don't scrub hard but just enough to get the creek stuff off. Before it dries take a pic camera on marco setting but with flash on. I will need to see the design and yes the state.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The composition of the pottery should tell you wether it is colonial or native american. Is it porous and look like it has white flakes mixed in the clay? That might mean native american. Colonial is often harder and brittle its a glazed type most times. It could also be modern porous exposed to the elements.
Is that a raised design or incised and scratched into it. Could be a mississipian era design but they were pretty random designs so you may not ever connect the dots. You should be able to determine if old real and native american though.

I'm 50/50 on it right now the outside says no the inside says yes haha Good luck!

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to say colonial. The design is raised- it looks like, and I can see turning ridge marks on the inside (made when the piece was ion the wheel). NA pottery on the east coast is porous and usually incised with cord, corn, net, -- but pressed into it. JMHO :thumbsup: Yakker

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to tell a lot from the photo but it strikes me as a piece of Native American pottery we do find raised imagery on pottery down here it happens by carving the design or image onto a wooden paddle and pressing it onto the clay while still wet.. I don't know what area you're in but it might help you to look into paddle stamped pottery.
This is a check stamp design but it illustrates my point of raised ridges and lines

ForumRunner_20150209_132003.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread