pottery paddles

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing a lot of research the last few days. I have several items from a private property site I was contracted to build a pond on. long story short.. the pond was postponed for the better part of a year and has now been scheduled to be dug on the opposite end of the property. I'm staying in contact with the landowner but my time there will be limited. Anyhow... as some of you already know there was a large layer of Peat Below the surface That aided in Some great preservation. This is one of the artifacts that I have not yet posted. Sometimes posting things that people aren't used to seeing doesn't go over real well for me. Anyone who's wondered what a wooden pottery Paddle Might look like here ya go. Cord would be wrapped around a paddle like this for marking clay pots.

ForumRunner_20121223_194121.png

ForumRunner_20121223_194333.png

ForumRunner_20121223_194446.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They seem to fit. It will be tight and I won't put pressure on that bone handle so.. I'll just assume.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Is the tool also an effigy? It looks like some sort of a bird or goose. Is that just in my mind? Sweet find!!

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your seeing the knot in the wood as an eye. Pretty sure its just a tool.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Find! :icon_thumleft: What kind of wood do you think it's made of?

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! That's the next project.. I'm working on it.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
yeah we dont see many pottery paddles here ..:icon_thumright: just a guess but looks like cedar to me ? i dont know if cedar grew down there way back when.....

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking.. it could be either or. I do not believe it held stone. and I just so happen to come up with a pottery paddle. It does fit the description of locally found atlatl handles. As far as someone pointing that out.... I'm glad! Looks like someone was paying attention.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are all atlatl weights, handles and hooks. Since both handles needed to be suited to hold a wooden shaft I guess it could be either. I don't see the wear on the thin part of the paddle that I think would be there if the hand was directly on the wood.

hooks.jpeg

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm open for suggestions.

ForumRunner_20121224_080757.png

ForumRunner_20121224_080856.png

Martingeetars

Dec 16, 2009
The south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asked by Theviking
"Cool stuff, Gator. Doe's the wooden paddle fit the handle, or was that an example? Thanks for the different view again".

Your answer"They seem to fit. It will be tight and I won't put pressure on that bone handle so.. I'll just assume."
Maybe this will make it easier to answer, was it found on the same site as the paddle in asscociation with, if so then maybe they are a pair!
Outstanding piece wiether they are a pair or not, to find any wood artifacts intact is a rare find indeed! It looks to be cypress maybe?
Way cool!​

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks..and yes.. very close to eachother at the same level. Cypress would be the most likely in the area.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread