pottery shard id.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this this pottery shard was found in the shell line on a beach. it is clay. can anyone date it for me? i was hoping it might be from an off shore wreck. thanks.
photobucket-3066-1330732653842.jpg

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find lots of stuff like this in the areas struck by Jeanne, Francis and Charlie. Probably part of a roof tile, or the underside of a deck tile unless it was in an area where there are no buildings that might have been affected by those hurricanes (or others in years past). Does not look like it is hand turned.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looks like the bottom of a modern terracotta flower pot to me, unfortunately. Hard to tell from the angle, sometimes amphora had finger marks on the inside bottom, but they usually created a spiral, not concentric circles. I'm with Terry, maybe 1 out of 20 pottery shards I find around here are from a wreck, even when searching in the area of a known wreck. You have to see several of each type before you can discern the difference with any certainty. Generally shipwreck shards are more tan than red, and if they are red they are in the form of fire bricks for the galley stoves.

Jason

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, older pottery is more like low quality cement, and newer pottery is clay based and very dense. Generally, native American pottery is tan outside, and black in the middle. Amphora are tan or redish tan all the way through. These are generalizations, and there are exceptions, but it's a good rule of thumb to use. Anything old, dense, and brick red should be in the form of a brick, and will usually have inclusions of small white rock or other things. Modern brick is usually more solid clay without a lot of inclusions. In my experience anyways. ;-)

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ScubaFinder said:
Yes, older pottery is more like low quality cement, and newer pottery is clay based and very dense. Generally, native American pottery is tan outside, and black in the middle. Amphora are tan or redish tan all the way through. These are generalizations, and there are exceptions, but it's a good rule of thumb to use. Anything old, dense, and brick red should be in the form of a brick, and will usually have inclusions of small white rock or other things. Modern brick is usually more solid clay without a lot of inclusions. In my experience anyways. ;-)
good info...thanks

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys. i figured it was fairly modern because of the concentric circles and its color but i wanted a few more opinions.
chuck.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I agree with ScubaFinder, it is most likely a bottom of a modern terra cotta pot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread