rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a hunt today on the creek. I mostly found pottery pieces. I found a nice big rim 8 inches just laying rite in the current area. I did find some dangits on the gravel bars. I must of hit 6 large gravel bars with not much luck. I found a little point made from quartz which I dont believe was ever finished cause it has a stack on the other side. One quartz point might be a geofact cause I dont see any secondary flaking on it. One is a Heart Breaker or a debitage piece. With creek stain on it sometimes it is hard to tell. Hope everyone else is finding them, rock

Attachments

• 100_3883.JPG
    100_3883.JPG
    422.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 100_3882.JPG
    100_3882.JPG
    483.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 100_3881.JPG
    100_3881.JPG
    410.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 100_3885.JPG
    100_3885.JPG
    337.2 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's a big rim piece , your just that much closer to finding a whole one:thumbsup:A lot of people don't think you can find a whole pot in a creek but I have seen the proof. Keep on keeping on. HH

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to do some research on the large piece I am holding. I do believe the type of pottery is called "Lamar Coarse Plain" It dates to the late Mississippian period.
The other pieces are almost impossible to date with no prints on them. If somebody disagrees with the type I believe it is let me know. Thanks, rock

Attachments

• 100_3883.JPG
    100_3883.JPG
    422.1 KB · Views: 86

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rock,
Thats a bigger rim piece than I have ever found, congrats, thats awesome. Nice one...
Steve

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to do some research on the large piece I am holding. I do believe the type of pottery is called "Lamar Coarse Plain" It dates to the late Mississippian period.
The other pieces are almost impossible to date with no prints on them. If somebody disagrees with the type I believe it is let me know. Thanks, rock

You're getting good man.
If you found that piece out in the middle.. it tells me it probably moved a good way downstream.
There is a lot of surface area for the water to act on.. it's size is also a pretty good indication it was recently watched from the bank.. probably from all the rain just recently.
If that piece was the only thing I found I'd still be very happy because it would mean that I'm going to...repeat that...going to.. find the site upstream from it in the bank that it came from and where the dense and heavier stone still is.
Go getum rock.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks it looked like it might of washed out from under a large Oak tree that the roots were dangling down from the bank to the water. It had allot of debrie that was hung up in the root system of the large tree. You guys know I am not happy with snakes,lol so I didnt swim under it to look for more of the pot. It might be there or it might not. Either way I wasnt going to look :tongue3:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Rock! That pottery is huge man. I trust your research on that pottery. It is going to tell you everything about your site. Cool thing is if it is that era and you have pottery that size you are very close to something really good. I am happy for you! You are in an area and era when they had some killer tools and pipes. Good luck!

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Rock! That pottery is huge man. I trust your research on that pottery. It is going to tell you everything about your site. Cool thing is if it is that era and you have pottery that size you are very close to something really good. I am happy for you! You are in an area and era when they had some killer tools and pipes. Good luck!

Hopefully no more rain will fall for a week or so. Some of the places I wadded trough was 5 ft deep with a soft bottom other places was 2 inches deep with a gravel bottom. I will go further next time and look at the banks to see if there is anything else sticking out. The creek stain wasnt very thick on the piece so it wouldnt of been in the water for very long. Now I dont know how to tell how long it was in but I am hoping to find that camp site in the next few weeks. I will be searching the fields along that area when the fields are bare. There is so many acres out on the owners property in that area I will have to zig and zag the fields till I find the spot. I cant wait till fall!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you get back to that large tree.. try throwing a bunch of water on the soil around the roots.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. It is the nicest piece I have ever found. If I go back it will have to be soon before the next rain comes. The creek is very clear now and the water is going down finally. Im going on a yak trip (already planned) but am thinking about bailing so I can go back to the creek instead, lol. Dont know just yet. Nothing like hunting new areas.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock,
That is a really nice pottery find. That had to put a smile on your face! Congratulations, and I were you, I would hunt that area hard and I would be real interested in what is laying just up stream. I think you've found yourself a good place to hunt! Good luck and be safe.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock,
That is a really nice pottery find. That had to put a smile on your face! Congratulations, and I were you, I would hunt that area hard and I would be real interested in what is laying just up stream. I think you've found yourself a good place to hunt! Good luck and be safe.

I was going back to it again tomorrow but we had a down pour today. I drove by the creek on my way home and it looked like a flooded mud puddle and the water was just flowing. Maybe in a few days it might clear back up and Ill do another walk to the area. Maybe the rest will be there when I get to go. Id really like to have another look in that spot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread