Pouch, apron...?

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What does everyone find convenient for holding tools, pinpointer, etc?
Pouch, carpenter's apron...?

And, what tools would you consider carrying for beeping tailing piles and exposed bedrock in a wet placer environment? (minimum recommendations)
Just sitting here recovering from outpatient surgery and looking forward to a summer of swinging our detectors over some tailing piles and schist bedrock.

Thanks

Bob

Upvote 0

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bob
I use bib overalls plenty of pockets, pin pointer fits good in the utility pocket on the right hand leg.
Gary

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Backpack for everything...left hand for pick or digging tool.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I'm different. I carry a 5 gallon bucket. Doesn't throw my balance off as a backpack does. Makes a good field marker if I need to mark a spot. Holds not only the knife, diggers, drinks, sea shells, sea glass, relics, trash, etc, but makes a great seat, and it's perfect for that if the ground is wet. Weighs about the same as a backpack. Sometimes I've come back with it half full of shells and relics. (That's heavy)

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Camelbak backpack for hydration purposes and my detector fits into it when folded up. Whilst detecting, I wear a pouch with two pockets on my belt for trash and finds.

fireaero1

Jul 14, 2012
Gallitzin,pa
Detector(s) used
white eagle ll SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cargo pants, water proof belt pouch, hat,bottled water,knife,extra battery pack,cellphone,small first aid kit. Also tell wife where I might be. Or friend.

tom in central pa

Last edited:

seascene

Feb 14, 2015
Sailboat coastal British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Presently Anfibio Muliti. Sold my MXT sport, TDI pro and Macro Gold Racer Just got April 2023 Deus 2 and Cscope 4 Pi (England made)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timely topic as I was wishing I had a full size rake today while detectoring some of this Alberni Valley rainforest. A full size shovel and rake would be nice if they could be adapted to a backpack. I thought of sawing a wooden handle shovel in half and then having a sleave over the 2 cut ends that could be bolt tightened down to bind them. Just wondering if anyone has found a way to adapt "full size" to backpack.

fireaero1

Jul 14, 2012
Gallitzin,pa
Detector(s) used
white eagle ll SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all: a army shovel is a good shovel,can get at flea mkt, or army surplus,rake can be had at sears ,etc. shrub rake. they centraare small with a short handle. Rake handle can be used as a walking stick. tom in central pa

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would try a side nail belt. It is just one pounch on your side inside of a 3 pouch nail belt. The hammer holder is a good place for your pick and the pockets have plenty of room for a pin pointer, etc. I think they are about 20-30 bucks at walmart, ace or harbor frieght.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Garrett Digger's Pouch with my Pro-Pointer AT in the holster on the outside of the pouch, as it's very handy there. For small gold I use a plastic scoop for waiving targets over the coil, and a pick to dig with, and I keep the pick in a belt holder designed for a carpenter's hammer. I also carry a small pry-bar and crevicing tool in the gold fields too, as I can't count the number of times those have come in handy! I also consider a plastic gold vial a must, and a 35MM film canister can also be useful.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My two cents: I like using a pouch and have several of them. Usually, a new detector comes with one (of various quality). Leather tool belts don't like rain or walking in water. I have no special pouch right now, but tend to use the Minelab or Garrett. I either use it for small tools or trash (not at the same time). Really good small stuff goes into a little container I hang with a string around my neck. The pouch tends to fill with dirt from the tools or trash that would easily result in lost small goodies. The one thing I look for is a wide adjustable belt for when I switch from jacket to shirt and a non-sip belt is ideal so when it gets heavy it does not drop below my waist. Things in my unzipped pockets tend to get dropped/lost.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get something made of nylon or some other tough, synthetic fabric with a belt of the same with plastic buckles or fasteners to avoid using metal fasteners or buckles of any kind. And, if you've got a cell phone, turn it off while detecting.

All the best,

Lanny

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
My pennys worth of thought (running a little short this week or I'd put my two cents in). I use my old work tool belt which is one of the padded ballistic nylon ones and I keep two pouches on it. A large one for trash and a small one for good finds and other essentials. I also have a d-ring on it to carry my small pick.

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still pretty new to this but I carry a UTG sling pack that is very similar to the Maxpedition Fatboy. It has lots of pockets, a water bottle pouch, plenty of area for attaching additional small packs such as a tactical first aid kit. All the pockets are easily accessible and the main compartment is water resistant. The secondary compartment offers a nice storage space for pens and a note pad, cell phone, and pocket knife. I also carry a small extendable tool in this pocket. You can attach a small but powerful magnet to the end or a mirror. I also carry an esbit stove and fuel tablets as well as a small emergency blanket in this pack. Additionally I usually carry a two pocket mesh belt pouch with me.
The pack itself is nice because its lightweight and can also be secured to your belt to keep it from shifting. It is big enough for a trowel and other small digging tools. The pack doesn't hinder mobility at all and can be dropped quickly thanks to heavy duty quick disconnects.

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still pretty new to this but I carry a UTG sling pack that is very similar to the Maxpedition Fatboy. It has lots of pockets, a water bottle pouch, plenty of area for attaching additional small packs such as a tactical first aid kit. All the pockets are easily accessible and the main compartment is water resistant. The secondary compartment offers a nice storage space for pens and a note pad, cell phone, and pocket knife. I also carry a small extendable tool in this pocket. You can attach a small but powerful magnet to the end or a mirror. I also carry an esbit stove and fuel tablets as well as a small emergency blanket in this pack. Additionally I usually carry a two pocket mesh belt pouch with me.
The pack itself is nice because its lightweight and can also be secured to your belt to keep it from shifting. It is big enough for a trowel and other small digging tools. The pack doesn't hinder mobility at all and can be dropped quickly thanks to heavy duty quick disconnects.
20160313_193718.jpg 20160313_193738.jpg 20160313_193815.jpg 20160313_193834.jpg 20160313_193913.jpg 20160313_193946.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions