Pounded park yields shield nickel

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've barely been able to get out detecting this year, but the weathers finally getting nice so I decided to go down the street to the closest park to me (which has yielded some of the oldest coins I've found, and the only other shield nickel). For a change I put my 8" coil on the ATgold instead of the ATpro which has been over nearly every inch of that park. About 30 minutes in I figured I was skunked and was about to head out since apparently no one has told the mosquitos its fall yet, and got a weak scratchy but repeatable 50-60 signal. Out of the hole popped something round and nickel sized. I let it dry and gave it a light rub to reveal the shield. Just goes to show there's no such thing as detected out. After getting home i gave it a little light toothpick work, and there was actually still a date! Looks like 1868/9? I was really hoping for a 1879, but this is still priceless to me.

20231024_084540.jpg
20231024_084524.jpg

Upvote 23
I've barely been able to get out detecting this year, but the weathers finally getting nice so I decided to go down the street to the closest park to me (which has yielded some of the oldest coins I've found, and the only other shield nickel). For a change I put my 8" coil on the ATgold instead of the ATpro which has been over nearly every inch of that park. About 30 minutes in I figured I was skunked and was about to head out since apparently no one has told the mosquitos its fall yet, and got a weak scratchy but repeatable 50-60 signal. Out of the hole popped something round and nickel sized. I let it dry and gave it a light rub to reveal the shield. Just goes to show there's no such thing as detected out. After getting home i gave it a little light toothpick work, and there was actually still a date! Looks like 1868/9? I was really hoping for a 1879, but this is still priceless to me.

View attachment 2111671View attachment 2111672
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

I agree with the never hunted out philosophy- hard work and persistence pays off yet again- Congrats!!

Nice post. Those nickels are elusive. Congrats on a special coin.

View attachment 2111671View attachment 2111672
Nice find and great attitude. I like to say, “Miss by an inch, miss by a mile.” Coins are where one finds them.

Congrats on a rare find !
Looks like a good one to clean with "Andre's Pencils" .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back