POW/MIA Bracelet

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• MIA Bracelet.jpg
    MIA Bracelet.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 10

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The link that ks coyote provided, shows that there were tons of people who had Major Huneycutt's bracelet.... So I am not so sure that this is as much of a personal item as it seems....

Cool find none-the-less.

It absolutely is as-much a personal item.
However, not trackable.

It seems that alot of folks think that only the fallen SM's wife or mother wore one - not true and hasn't been since the late 70s.

It was (and still is) entirely customary for the troops in his squad, platoon, company, and even battalion to elect to purchase and wear a band in remembrance.

Usually they are produced at the request of the soldiers peers, squad leader, platoon daddy, etc. Most of the KIA band companies give the immediate family their bands for free as a sign of respect... Anyone else usually pays a small amount apiece for theirs. When i was downrange, it was not unusual for the company/battalion to use company funds to provide one for those interested.

I'd assume that the Major in question was an XO... Even though a staff officer, My old XO's always maintained a high visibility among us enlisted guys. If any of my XO's had ever fallen, there would have been ~300 of us wearing his name on our wrist.

The immediate family wearing one is a special thing, but for the boys who were downrange with him in those circumstances it almost always has an entirely different meaning.

I guess I'm just trying to say that no matter how many may have been made, everyone that owned one did so because they chose to and that it was most certainly a sentimental possession... Akin to a family bible.

I keep mine in my nightstand... The dates have all been committed to memory.

~Tejaas~

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It absolutely is as-much a personal item.
However, not trackable.

It seems that alot of folks think that only the fallen SM's wife or mother wore one - not true and hasn't been since the late 70s.

It was (and still is) entirely customary for the troops in his squad, platoon, company, and even battalion to elect to purchase and wear a band in remembrance.

Usually they are produced at the request of the soldiers peers, squad leader, platoon daddy, etc. Most of the KIA band companies give the immediate family their bands for free as a sign of respect... Anyone else usually pays a small amount apiece for theirs. When i was downrange, it was not unusual for the company/battalion to use company funds to provide one for those interested.

I'd assume that the Major in question was an XO... Even though a staff officer, My old XO's always maintained a high visibility among us enlisted guys. If any of them had ever fallen, there would have been ~300 of us wearing his name on our wrist.

The immediate family wearing one is a special thing, but for the boys who were downrange with him in those circumstances it almost always has an entirely different meaning.

I guess I'm just trying to say that no matter how many may have been made, everyone that owned one did so because they chose to and that it was most certainly a sentimental possession... Akin to a family bible.

I keep mine in my nightstand... The dates have all been committed to memory.

~Tejaas~

I appreciate the perspective you have given me... as I didn't mean to ruffle up the thread in anyway...The find itself is great, and the meaning behind it is even stronger.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I appreciate the perspective you have given me... as I didn't mean to ruffle up the thread in anyway...The find itself is great, and the meaning behind it is even stronger.

No problem, and i don't think anyone was ruffled. I understood what ya meant!

I've seen the stories about super bowl rings found on the beach and stuff, but that is just about the value of a football-themed gold ring.

Finds like the OP's bracelet are about sentiment... Awesome score for sure!

~Tejaas~

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is an afterthought, OP.

Donate the bracelet to the Major's hometown VFW post.

Every post I've ever set foot in had a display cabinet, memorial corner, etc.

I am 100% certain they will take care of it and display it with pride.

If your unfamiliar, and decide to go this route - I'd be happy to help put you in touch with the right people if needed.

~Tejaas~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread