POW/MIA Bracelet

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• MIA Bracelet.jpg
    MIA Bracelet.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 10

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That is absolutely a find I'd do some serious research on. Maybe he's home, maybe he's not, maybe he has dependents and descendants who would cherish it.

Congrats on the find

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great save, I would certainly want that ii he was my father, brother, child. Good Luck on the return. It will mean a lot more to relatives than you.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find,, I wish you luck in trying to return it.
As a Vietnam Veteran, I know that his family will be overwhelmed with gratitude if you can get it to them

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool.
And a coincidence the name is the same as a M.A.S.H. character.

OP
OP
ks coyote

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He was never married so nobody close. Maybe donate it to the local military museum.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
He was never married so nobody close. Maybe donate it to the local military museum.

Wow! If he was never married, there must have been someone. His parents wouldn't have been living at the military base. Someone cared enough to wear the bracelet.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Huneycutt

On November 10, 1967, Major Charles J. Huneycutt, USAF, was shot down over North Vietnam while flying an F4C on a night operational mission. Major Huneycutt is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. He is survived by his mother, Mrs. Alberta Huneycutt of Morehead City, NC and four sisters and their families.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
From that link, the lady names 3 sisters:

I have three sisters. Mabel Jane Huneycutt Earle (Duncan) in Va., Alice R Huneycutt in Fl,, and Michelle Huneycutt Johnson in Conn. Jerry was considered one of the top young pilots in the country by many

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This is apparently the 4th sister's name:

Dottie Huneycutt Burnside

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though I'm a finders/keepers guy, that is one item I would try to return. I, too, am a Nam Vet.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Several years ago, there was a small volunteer group near the DC area who you could send little mementos like this to and they would personally take and leave them on the headstone and email you a photograph or two.

Of course, last year Arlington cracked down on the practice and pretty much said "flowers only."

~Tejaas~

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Even though I'm a finders/keepers guy, that is one item I would try to return. I, too, am a Nam Vet.

As am I.

That's why I had to find out who mattered to him. This would be one of the most incredible Honorable Mentions I've ever seen.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To the previous posters in this thread who chewed dirt in Vietnam:

Thank you for your sacrifices, and I'm thankful that we did not need to memorialize YOUR names on a KIA bracelet.

As a multiple-tour combat vet in the 2 most recent theaters of conflict, i look up to y'all and will never forget the ones who came and went before.

Oh, and FIRST TEAM leads the way!
8ae31bae3cd5651b4338f6d098cae4b0.jpg

Haha!

~Tejaas~

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember these bracelets as a kid back in the early 70s--my sister wore one. Has this bracelet been holed? I seem to remember that if the serviceman was confirmed as KIA that the bracelet was supposed to be holed and worn on a chain. I didn't realize until I read the link you posted that they created many bracelets with the same name. Nevertheless I'm sure the family would be thrilled to receive this bracelet. I look forward to hearing about your progress in contacting them.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The link that ks coyote provided, shows that there were tons of people who had Major Huneycutt's bracelet.... So I am not so sure that this is as much of a personal item as it seems....

Cool find none-the-less.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The link that ks coyote provided, shows that there were tons of people who had Major Huneycutt's bracelet.... So I am not so sure that this is as much of a personal item as it seems....

Cool find none-the-less.
Yes,, you're absolutely correct. There is no way of finding out who the original owner of this bracelet was. I wore one in the 70's also.
If I were to find one and return it to a surviving family member, I would do so out of remembrance and respect.
Never again will one generation of veterans, abandon, another.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread