Power lines not so bad?

G

gossunc

Experienced something unusual this weekend. Have a some major power lines passing through my housing development in Northern Virginia...power company owns the swath underneath, so no development there except for a small playground. Took my Ace 250 out there in July to see what I could dig up, but way too noisy, even on reduced sensitivity setting--basically would pinpoint everything as metal. This weekend had a friend over and wanted to show him how the Ace worked...my girls were already down at the playground, so we joined them. No noise this time! We pulled out 75 cents of clad in about 20 minutes. What's the difference? My guess was less juice flowing through the lines this time of year because of reduced demand for air conditioning...any other reasons why this would work now vs back in July? Thanks,

Goose

Upvote 0

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
EMF radiation is affected by many things

Humidity in the air is one, distance from the lines is another - EMF drops with the square of the distance - 2x as far away = 1/4 the level of EMF. Power in the lines is not likely, as EMF is dependent more on voltage (which utilities hold constant) than on amperage (power demand)

Diggem'

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Yes I agree ....Hunidity...Ever notice how in August/Sept the phone lines get staticy ,the tv is fuzzier...Humidity....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Humidity I agree. Many detectors that I have used at one location went noisy and it was always a very humid day. At a near by park now, they were fine.

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Portions of power lines get switched off. There could be a section of the conductors deenergized for construction, maintenance, clearance..etc...Fairly common occurance in new construction areas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread