Powering the Pump

Jan 15, 2016
Fresno, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just had a question on how you guys power your pumps while down at the river when using a high banker. I have seen videos of people connecting them to car batteries but I am not tech savvy at all. Could anyone provide a quick explanation on how to set it up? If anyone has a picture of their power set up that would be beneficial too. Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say you have these options.

1) Gas motor powered pump
2) DC motor powered pump with battery or generator or solar
3) AC motor powered with a gas powered generator
4) I think one guy on here used a bike to power a pump
There might be more but this is a start.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
while battery and generator powered pumps are quite (somewhat) my favorite is running a gas powered pump. this option gives you an advantage for picking your location to dig . by the bank or up on the highbank where the pump will be able to push the water up to you and the battery powered pumps cant do.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say , if you are allowed to use a gas pump , that would be my first choice . There are several 1.5 to 2 inch pumps out there that are light weight and maybe lighter that a battery and pump combination. The other thing is a small generator running a 12 volt power supply , for a bilge style pump . This will still be lighter than a battery , and you won't run out of power before your done prospecting . Then you could go with a deep cycle battery and a good solar cell to help charge the battery while the unit is in use , but eventually you will have to stop at some point to allow a recharge . JMHO

Last edited:

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots to consider. But first and foremost one should be aware of what is legal and what is not in the area you intend to do your activity and that may help you narrow down what kind of power you should be looking for..
This is something that is new that I think will help a lot of prospectors miners...

Kodiak lightweight portable solar generator | Inergy Solar

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots to consider. But first and foremost one should be aware of what is legal and what is not in the area you intend to do your activity and that may help you narrow down what kind of power you should be looking for..
This is something that is new that I think will help a lot of prospectors miners...

Kodiak lightweight portable solar generator | Inergy Solar

The big problem , I see with this is the expence , you could buy enough deep cycle batteries to run all day and a charger for less than the cost of this product .

Au-N-Rod

Mar 5, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The big problem , I see with this is the expence , you could buy enough deep cycle batteries to run all day and a charger for less than the cost of this product .

IF you are somewhere to plug your charger in. What if you were gonna be there 3-4 days? That is a lotta batteries.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You still could buy a lot of deep cycle batteries for 1599.00 not only that you could charge them off your vehical with jumper cables and still be ahead of the game . Then there is always a solar charger .

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IF you are somewhere to plug your charger in. What if you were gonna be there 3-4 days? That is a lotta batteries.

And unless you use lithium batteries (expensive), you have a lot of weight to move since lead batteries are really heavy.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bodfish Mike probably did the best in responding to the thread.. The post is so general that no real advice or help can be given..

I know only what serves me in the areas I work..

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently come across a small portable hydroelectric generator , these may be the way of the future .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread